Todays weather is Cold (19 degrees) Flurries and more snow to come here is Altoona, Iowa but, are you ready for the spring market? Early spring is a great time to put your home on the market so start to think of the inside repairs and decluttering that you can do now that it is cold. I know it isn't fun but, it sure is energizing when it is completed. So lets get ready for the Pre-spring declutter and get your home ready to put on the market!
Declutter before you list this spring!
1. Make an appointment with yourself. Write it down on the calendar. And then keep that appointment like you would any other appointment. You have an appointment to unclutter something. Do not cancel or reschedule!!! Mark down the date, the time, and the task! Remember you only have to do it for 15 minutes, but once you get going you may find that you can push it to 30 minutes or more!
2. Start small. Unclutter one shelf, one drawer, or one small area until you are done. You can set timers and give yourself a break if you need to, just be sure that it’s done before the end of the day. Don’t stop until you are done with the job. We are only picking ONE shelf, drawer, etc. Keep it small!!! Don't schedule "declutter the basement" Just schedule what you can do in 15 minutes. "declutter the Christmas section of basement" You may have to schedule this task for more than one day, but it will eventually all get done.
3. Set simple daily goals for yourself. Today, I’m going to clean out the sock drawer. And then do it. You can clean out the junk drawer while you wait for the water to boil for dinner! Just grab the garbage bag and start throwing out the junk.
4. Reward yourself. Plan on a nice soak in the tub when you finish the job. Hard work deserves a reward! While the finished product of an organized and DE cluttered home will be a reward in itself, you need to give yourself something special for a job well done!
5. Find the mess. Figure out the one area that frustrates you the most.
6. Have the whole family help. Make a list of organizing projects and write each one on a separate piece of paper. Put them all in a jar or bowl. Have each member that is capable, reach inside and pick a slip of paper. Everyone does that organizing/declutter project until it’s done. You may want to do separate bowls that are age appropriate. Small kids can organize too! Don’t underestimate them; sometimes we over think things, while they have the simple solution! Don't forget to reward your family.
7. Don’t try and get it all done in one day. Walk away when you have had enough. The clutter didn’t get there overnight, and it won’t disappear overnight either. Don't get discouraged, you just start again tomorrow!
1. Things you love or use-Keepand put them away!
2. Things you could give away- Give them away
3. Things that belong in the trash-Throw them out!!!!
4. Things you could sell-(Craigs list, Garage sale, ebay)
5. Things that belong elsewhere- Put these away!
Be sure to put away what needs to be put away.
The things that need to get thrown out, do so.
The things that you’re going to give away or donate, place right into your car to be taken to a drop box, or the church. Don't just set them aside take them to your car and get them where they need to go!!!
The things you’re going to sell, place in either the basement or garage. Price them right away, or list them on eBay, craigslist etc, immediately, do not put that off. Don't say you’re going to sell it and then just let it sit in a corner. Remember to be honest with yourself. If you’re not going to sell it, or have a garage sale, throw it out or donate it!!
Be tough on yourself when going through the items, when in doubt, throw it out!!! Don’t hesitate on where to put something, chances are it should not stay in the house and it’s just clutter that you can live without.
Be ruthless. Don't keep something that you've been meaning to sew a button on or mend..be honest with yourself, your never going to do it, so get rid of it. Don't keep the broken toys, or the ten brushes in the bathroom. Really, how many do you use? Keep it real, stay honest with yourself and in no time you'll have bags of stuff leaving your house. You’re going to feel so good! When we declutter our homes, we are decluttering our lives. And really, couldn't we all do with a little less of everything?
Be ready for the spring market!
When you are ready to list call Peggy Harmeyer. Or a preferred Realtor in your community.