US Census data released today shows Maricopa County was the fastest growing county in the United States from July, 2006 - July, 2007. Maricopa County consists of Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Glendale, Gilbert, Peoria, or what others commonly refer to as the Metro-Phoenix area; if you live here, we just call it the "Valley" which is short for the "Valley of the Sun"....
The second fastest growing County is outside of New Orleans where people are continuing to move back after cleanup from Hurricane Katrina continues. The third fastest growing county is....you guessed it - Pinal County, Arizona. Pinal County is where a lot of folks flocking to the Phoenix metro-area have settled down because the housing is more affordable if you don't mind the extra 20 mile commute to the Phoenix-Metro area. Pinal County cities of Casa Grand, Queen Creek, Apache Junction, Gold Canyon and Maricopa (yes, the town of Maricopa is in Pinal county, not Maricopa county) are popular suburb alternatives to housing in the Phoenix-Metro area.
7/2006 - 7/2007 Maricopa and Pinal Counties combined attracted over 130,000 new residents.
I am admittedly biased as a fourth-generation Arizona native, whom I might add, is also married to an Arizona native. Here are some of my thoughts on why people love to live in Arizona in 2008.
- ASU, U of A, NAU, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Thunderbird International Graduate School (rated number 1 MBA International program for 11 consecutive years by US World and News Report)
- Great Dog Parks
- Affordable Housing
- Super Bowl 2008, Phoenix Open, Barrett-Jackson Car Show/Auction
- Premier Resort Destination
- More than 330 days of sunshine a year!
- Grand Canyon
- Live in the Valley in the winter, visit or have 2nd home in pine/snow country only 2-3 hour away!
- The Most Beautiful Sunsets anywhere and every evening!
- Intel, General Dynamics, Boeing, GoDaddy.com
- Hiking, fishing, cycling
- Beautiful Sonoran Deserts
- 6 hour drive to Disneyland or Las Vegas - take your pick!
- Canadians like Arizona
- No Natural Disasters
- Art, Culture, Friendly Folks, Sunshine, Great Schools and Employers, and Still Affordable!!