Part 2 - I got a WWOOFER!
Remember when I posted about I WANT A WOOFER - WHERE CAN I FIND ONE? Well here's an update.
We had only 5 inquiries since that time - and I thought they would be lining up for a chance to stay for free on a Maui farm:
- female - 21 years old, living in Los Angeles, no experience, coming for 3 weeks (in the height of our visitor schedule).
I have to admit this one didn't strike a chord with me, so I wrote her back and kind of emphasized the negative aspects of the situation. Never heard back from her.
- male - 24 years old and a diligent worker, in graduate school in St. Louis, Missouri, only be able to work for 9 days, "Challenging manual labor is always a welcome change from the classroom for me...would love to spend my time there in a productive and serene environment, as far away from the resorts as possible!"
Wow this guy was saying all the right things - except that he was only coming for 9 days - again right smack dab in a bad time - no room at the inn! Sorry, no deal.
- male - minimal farm experience, looking for some short term work, easy to get along with but prefer alot of solitude.... like to play guitar
I don't think so.... NEXT!
- male - bad spelling, grammer and punctuation... bad timing. Bad luck for him.
At this point I'm beginning to wonder if we will ever find a Willing Worker for the Organic Farm - was it all just a fantasy? What did we do wrong - was our description in the WWOOF directory scaring them away? And then....
- female - 28 year old from Taiwan, "The description of work opportunity as you mentioned is so attractive to me", March 14 to April 20 if it is possible.
The timing was just right - a few days overlap with our last visitors of the season. The "minipad" would be available. At this point I didn't care that she had no farm experience, and came from a background of accounting and sales. She could speak English, seemed intelligent enough, and was keen to give it a try. A month was long enough, and wouldn't get in the way of our next vacation. I was ready!
NEXT - Part 3: WWOOFer arrives to Maui Hawaii. (don't you hate it when this happens?)
Looking for a local maui expert? Call THE HUNTER - Georgina M. Hunter R(S) - 808 283-0635