A few weeks ago I wrote a blog called 10 mistakes buyers make when purchasing a home. Today, I decided to write one for the sellers. Here are 10 mistakes sellers make when selling their home.
10. Over pricing your home. Some Realtors will say that this is okay, as long as there is a strategy for price reductions. I say they're wrong. If you price your home too high, other agents won't show it. Buyers will be turned off. It's simply a waste of time. If you want to price it 5% higher than market value for negotiating purposes, I think that's okay. Anything more than that is not okay.
9. Not staging your home. I don't always recommend hiring a professional stager, but I do recommend decluttering, taking down the 800 pictures of your dog, and making the home appeal to the masses.
8. Selling For Sale By Owner. This would be like me telling you to take the day off from your dentistry because I'm going to do your job today. Nope. I've had no dental training at all, but I got this. Yeah. Not happening.
7. Listing with the agent that charges the least commission. Take a step back and think about this one for a minute. Why would a Realtor charge you a highly discounted commission? Here's the answer: They are "buying" your listing because their confidence or track record isn't the best. You get what you pay for.
6. Listing with a flat rate company. These guys can't cut it as Realtors, so they charge you a flat fee of $500 to list your home on the MLS, and then you're on your own. Not a good idea.
5. Not making needed repairs before listing. If you, as the seller, knows that there are things wrong with the home, it's best to fix them up front. Odds are that it's going to come up on the inspection anyway.
4. Leaving your pets home during showings. Amanda and I are both huge animal lovers, but it's best to take your pets with you during showings. Even caged up dogs can be a HUGE distraction during a showing. Plus it's very stressful for most dogs anyway! Poor little boogers...
3. Turning down showings. This one has killed many deals in the past. I've had buyers that were trying to get in to see a listing, but the seller declined. Guess what? They bought another home. I know that at times there are things that come up, but do your best to be flexible.
2. Not taking care of the SMELLS. I'm 99% sure that our living room (even though we clean A LOT) has a hint of a dog smell. If we were to list our home now, we would need to clean the carpets and the furniture to make sure the smell is gone before showings. I've seen terrible smells turn buyers off in seconds.
1. Not leaving for showings. I can write a blog about this topic itself. Here's when it's a good idea for you to stay home while another agent is showing buyers your home: Never. I've seen sellers give away their position and (in a way) encourage a lowball offer. I've seen sellers turn off buyers by staying and asking a bunch of questions. It's just not a good idea to be home during showings. Ever.
So there you have it. My top 10 list of mistakes sellers make when sellling their home.
Do you have anything to add? I'm sure you do!
If you are considering selling your home in the Fort Wayne area and are looking for a top listing team, we'd be happy to help. Feel free to give us a call at 260.704.0843. Thanks for reading!
Amanda and Jared Christiansen
Century 21 Bradley Realty in Fort Wayne, Indiana.