My Personal Weltanschaung For Transition To Retirement
One of the March challenges is to create our own personal Weltanschauung and as I continue to transition to retirement, I thought about the guiding principles and philosophies that guide me towards that goal.
1. I believe Retirement is a good thing, well deserved after a lifetime of work. It is something that should be enjoyed and be an exciting part of ones life.
2. I believe you should retire to something; not from something. Looking forward to new adventures, life long learning, maybe a new career in something one likes to do, not must do.
3. I believe Retirement can be enjoyed even with modest wealth. So many things can be done to enjoy our wonderful world from walks in the park, to visiting museums, senior centers or taking up a photography hobby.
4. I believe it is important to give back to the community. Being able to retire frees up time and one of the most rewarding things you can do is to volunteer at the hospital, the senior center, charitable organizations and other worthwhile causes.
5. I believe your physical health is important in Retirement and you should maintain and even improve your health. Proper diet, portion control (for me), and eating well is one if not the most important thing you can do to improve your health . Getting physical exercise at least three times a week via walks in the park, Silver Sneakers programs, gym membership or other ways is also a primary part of improving and maintaining health.
6. I believe mentoring and consulting younger people and sharing your experiences can be valuable to both you and the younger person.
7. I believe socialization and maintaining and making friends is very important to a successful retirement. Joining a dance club, visiting the senior center, moving to retirement community, even volunteering and church work offer opportunities. Having a social network for friends to give and receive support is valuable and should be sought.
8. I believe in winding down ones career, one should never give up the high standards one has delivered over the years and a proper transition of the business should occur at the same or better level of service. In my case, any property management accounts terminated should be done at time of turnover in tenants and a suitable new property manager should be suggested.
9. Finally being in real estate, I believe in being proactive in securing livable housing that will serve the housing needs of me and my wife for years to come. I believe this will be more accessible and safe and may even prevent injuries. Housing in our case will be on one level with no stairs with univeral design features, low maitenance materials and energy efficient.
This list is probably not complete but it got me thinking about my Weltanschaung To Retirement.