View Menomonee County Michigan in a larger map
Menomonee County, Upper Michigan, Forests, Wildlife, and Recreation.
Upper Michigan is one of my favorite places with cool summers, snow filled winters and some of the best Sugar Maple in the world.
With over 9 million acres of forestland, and not that many people, this place is a real treasure.
This place may be a little tough on the deer with deep snows and less food than we see in Wisconsin or Lower Michigan, but you will find more of some of the other wildlife species like Bears, Moose, Wolves and much more.
I am always impressed with the quality of the forests in the UP and so are many others who seek the high quality Sugar Maple that grow here so well, including many areas that are famous for their Birdseye Maple lumber.
These Maples and the Northern Hardwoods that they grow with comprise the largest portion of the forest land here with nearly 4 million acres.
Aspen also comprises a significant component with 1.5 million acres which are critical for wildlife like deer and grouse as well as producing great timber.
In Menomonee County, along the Western most edge of the state, we have some of the best forests of the UP with over 500 thousand forested acres.
The largest timber component in this county is Northern Hardwoods with world famous Sugar Maple totaling 131 thousand acres.
These Sugar Maple and other Northern hardwoods provide top dollar sawtimber and veneer for owners of land in this region.
The two largest secondary forest types in Menomonee county include Aspen with 80 thousand acres and Spruce/Fir with 180 thousand acres.
These two forest types in addition to providing a valuable timber source are also a key component for wildlife habitat. Providing needed food in the Aspen and critical winter cover in the Conifers.
Considering purchasing some land in this northern paradise, or own some already and want to learn how to encourage it to meet your forest and wildlife goals, give us a call, our Foresters and Wildlife Specialists at Woodland Management Service can help.
A few other articles to check out.
- Click here to learn more
Buying and Selling Forest Land
- Top 10 List for Selling Your Forestland at a Premium Price.
- What Is My Tree Worth? Q&A#3
- Forestland Evaluations, dont Buy or Sell Forestland without one.
- FAQ - How important is Access When Selling Hunting and Recreational Land?
Managing the Forest
- Your Forest May Need a Little Help
- FAQ Is leaving my woodland alone best for Wildlife & Forest Health?
- FAQ How do I create a Wildlife Paradise on my Property?
- FAQ How do I Encourage More Wildlife on My Land?
- FAQ What is Hygrading and why is it so Bad??
- FAQ I Have Recently Purchased/Inherited Some Forest Land. What's Next?
- Need a Break on your Forestland Taxes?
- Why Should I Hire A Forester To Sell My Timber? Q&A#4
- Do I need to have a Clear Cut on my property? Q&A#3
- Spring and Summer Danger, Oak Wilt can kill your most valuable trees
- Hunters are Looking to Lease Your Forestland