A few weeks ago our California Association of Realtors® made this chart available, which clearly show that it pays to use a Realtor® when selling a home. The source for this graphic came from the National Association of Realtors® 2012 profile of home buyers and sellers.
It pays to use a Realtor® - a difference in typical selling price of $184,000 and $230,000 is substantial. Just think how you could use that $46,000 -- college tuition? add to a retirement nest egg? other?
Tasks that sellers find difficult handling for themselves:
- understanding and performing paperwork--while following all laws, fair housing and other--difficult!
- setting the right price--no, it probably isn't what a Zestimate might show; there are many factors that Zillow doesn't pretend to know, that need a local expert to assess
- preparing/fixing up a home for sale--it's not easy to find the right blend of cost effective updating that is preferred by today's buyers in one's own local area
- helping buyer obtain financing--a Realtor® has established relationship with different lenders and can help direct buyers to those that would be right for them
- attracting potential buyers--the multiple listing service is one major way of letting people know that a property is available; networking with other agents as well as a variety of internet options gives a property even more visibility, bringing additional prospective buyers
- selling within the planned time line - a Realtor® knows what time frame is typical not only for a particular area, but also for a particular price range.
- having enough time to devote to all aspects of the sale - a Realtor® is in the trenches, doing this many hours a week, most weeks of the year, often for many years; they know what it take, how to set a time line and juggle the tasks smoothly.
So, if you are thinking of selling your San Mateo County home, or your San Francisco property, or perhaps your Silicon Valley place, do yourself a favor and contact a Realtor® who can help you achieve or surpass your goal.