My personal principles - or Weltanschauung (a German word meaning world view and convictions) that guide me through everyday life are also how I conduct business. For me it is impossible to separate the two. In essence, I treat others the way I want to be treated and teach my children to do the same.
In no particular order here are the main points of my Weltanschauung:
1. Answer the phone with a smile: it's not only part of my blog signature, it is what I do. Whenever the phone rings, I take a deep breath to clear my mind from whatever it is I am doing, I smile and I answer the phone. I am ready to hear good news and bad, if it's the latter, I'm in a better frame of mind to handle it.
2. Things are seldom what they appear on the surface: is a lesson I have learned on my personal journey as well as a over the last decade as a REALTOR®. There is always more to a story than first meets the eye. For that reason, we should never be quick to judge.
The driver who just cut in in front of you? He may have just received bad news and is trying to get to the hospital. The REALTOR® who didn't return my call may be in the middle of a family emergency. The neighbor who can't make eye contact and is rarely seen chatting with others, she may be a victim of domestic violence (Know the facts & spot the signs, NOMORE.org)
3. Be kind to others: random acts of kindness are very powerful, they can brighten someone's day, inspire and feed your own soul. Just think about how good it makes you feel when you are the bearer of good news, offer a helping hand or thank someone with flowers, chocolates or a personal note. Now imagine how good it makes them feel!
4. Pay it forward: have you been on the receiving end of a random act of kindness? Remember how it made you smile, warmed your heart or soothed your soul? Pay it forward. Kindness doesn't cost a dime but the rewards are priceless.
5. You can't be everything to everyone: make peace with that thought. It's impossible to please every person in your life. There will be conflicts and there are people who will rub you the wrong way. But you can still be respectful and agree to disagree.... don't be quick to judge, be kind and remember to smile!
How about you? What are your guiding principles in life and/or business? What is your Weltanschauung?
P.S.: Give me a call if you are wondering how to pronounce Weltanschauung ... I speak German!