Burning candles when showing a house scares me.

By
Real Estate Agent with RE/MAX Preffered Group

WHen i was Recently showing homes...a very nice home that have burning candles in every room. Sometimes severeal in each room. 

First the cent can be annoying to some people that have allergies.

Second the safety factor especially with the signs of cats in the house. They love to jump up on tables and contertops. 

I understand the concept, however, the owner must think on the pracitcle side and see the danger involved. I aviod the chance of being held responsible for someones house burning down after i show it. Therefor i always blow them out. I never leave an empty home with a burning candle. 

I certainly hope more Realtors take the same opinion and Blow out those candles before leaving.

We often see the little signs on the wall asking you to take off your shoes or wear the little scrunchy shoe covers and of course turn out the lights. What about blow out the candles?

Comments (3)

Kathy Streib
Cypress, TX
Home Stager/Redesign

Gary- I totally agree.  When I'm working with sellers, I tell them NO candles.  I do explain why which can help.  But, it's important that agents agree as well. 

Mar 31, 2014 12:07 PM
Lesley Wilson-VanGoethem
Innovative Realty Solutions Group - Winter Springs, FL
Residential Real Estate Broker Associate

Just ran into this scenario this past week.  The candle of choice was a Orange Cinnamon, and they had 3 burning.  Not only were candles burning in kitchen and both baths, but our eyes were burning  from the strong aroma!  

 

Apr 01, 2014 01:40 AM
Wanda Kubat-Nerdin - Wanda Can!
Red Rock Real Estate (435) 632-9374 - St. George, UT
St. George Utah Area Residential Sales Agent

Good points Gary! Scented candles are obviously masking smells and I am unable to handle them and the wall pug-ins. Sellers should avoid overdoing it!

Dec 17, 2021 07:00 PM