The spring selling season is here in western North Carolina and there are 5 things you can do right now if you want to sell your home this year.
1. De-clutter every room and closet. This step is so basic yet so important for several reasons. When a house is cluttered, two things can happen. A buyer can be so overwhelmed by all the "stuff" that they overlook the great features of your home. And/or they log it in their brain that the home doesn't have enough storage. Neither scenario is good for you if you are trying to sell.The other reason you want to stash your stuff is to make sure the photos of your home that appear in the MLS and other marketing sources are the best they can be. Statistics prove that the vast majority of buyers start their search on the internet and if the photos aren't inviting, they are moving on to the next listing.
Before you even put a sign in yard, go through your home and sell, store, or donate things you don’t use on a regular basis. Think of it as way to get a jump start on moving.
2. Repair anything that drips, squeaks, or is broken. Anything in the home that doesn't work properly tells a buyer that a home has not been properly maintained. A home that is well cared for will likely sell for more than a similar home where the buyer has to calculate all the repairs they have to make. Make a punch list and head to your favorite home repair store.
3. Make a plan to maximize your curb appeal when the temperature is right. Depending on where you live, spring is the perfect time to freshen up the outside of your home with a splash of color. You don't have to be a master gardner to make an impact. Some pots of seasonal flowers go a long way to creating a welcoming look. Be sure to remove any dead tree limbs or bushes that didn't make it through the winter. And don't forget your front door! Give it a new look with a fresh coat of paint or at the very least, a good cleaning to wash away dirt and grime that may have accumulated during the colder months.
4. Freshen up the interior paint. The paint inside your home can take a beating over the years. If you like the colors you have, look for spots that need some touch up. If you are selling and thinking about repainting, stick with a neutral color. This is not the time to express your inner Warhol.
5. Lastly, know your market. Know your competition. If it's been a while since you've been active in your local real estate market, you need professional guidance. Find a real estate professional who knows your market so he/she can price your home correctly and has the marketing tools needed to make sure your home is getting maximum exposure.