Easton MA Attorney: Can You Disinherit Your Spouse Under MA Law?

Real Estate Attorney with an Expertise in Estate Planning and Elder Law

The author Brigitte von Weiss of VON WEISS LAW OFFICE is an estate planning lawyer and elder law attorney in Easton, MA.

Website:  vonweisslaw.com

What if there is a Will, but the surviving spouse was left nothing or a token amount?  

Under Massachusetts law, can you disinherit your spouse?


A preliminary issue is whether there is a valid and enforceable prenuptial agreement or separation agreement impacting the inheritance rights of the surviving spouse.   

The balance of this blog assumes there is no such valid and enforceable prenuptial or separation agreement. 

Under Massachusetts law, a surviving spouse has the right to waive the Will and claim instead the forced share (also referred to as "elective share" and "statutory share").  

The Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code (MUPC) became effective as of March 31, 2012.  However, the MUPC did not change a spouse's right to waive the Will nor the calculation of the forced share. 

The forced share is far less than the share the spouse would have received if there were no Will.  The forced share applies only to the decedent’s probate property and property transferred by the decedent to a revocable trust during life. 

If the decedent is survived by descendants, the forced share is 1/3 of the decedent’s property---the spouse is entitled to the first $25,000 outright and a life estate in the remainder of the 1/3 share. 

If the decedent is survived by blood relatives but not descendants, the forced share is $25,000 and a life estate in half of the remaining property.  

If the decedent is not survived by blood relatives, the forced share is $25,000 and half of the remaining property outright.   


There is also the "family allowance."   Under § 2-404(a) of the MUPC, the personal representative (person in charge of the estate) has the authority to pay a "family allowance" to the surviving spouse and "minor children whom the decedent was obligated to support and children who were in fact being supported by the decedent."   Unless the court orders otherwise, the personal representative's discretionary authority to pay a family allowance is capped at a lump sum of $18,000 or $1,500 per month for a period of one year.  M.G.L. c. 190B, § 2-405.  


There is furthermore the "exempt property" statute.  Under § 2-403(a) of the MUPC, the surviving spouse, or children if there is no surviving spouse, is entitled to $10,000 of exempt property from the decedent’s probate estate.   The $10,000 first comes from "household furniture, automobiles, furnishings, appliances and personal effects."    


Finally, under § 2-403(b) of the MUPC, the surviving spouse has the right to remain rent-free in the decedent’s house for six months after the decedent’s death.   


Nothing in this blog should be considered legal advice as this is a complicated area of the law.   

The author Brigitte von Weiss of VON WEISS LAW OFFICE is an estate planning lawyer and elder law attorney serving clients in Easton, MA, as well as nearby towns and cities, including Abington, MA, Attleboro, MA, Avon, MA, Bridgewater, MA, Brockton, MA, Canton, MA, East Bridgewater, MA, Foxboro, MA, Mansfield, MA, North Attleboro, MA, Norton, MA, Norwood, MA, Plainville, MA, Randolph, MA, Raynham, MA, Rehoboth, MA, Rockland, MA, Sharon, MA, Stoughton, MA, Walpole, MA, West Bridgewater, MA, and Whitman, MA.   

Brigitte, a graduate of Boston College School of Nursing and an honors graduate of Loyola University of Chicago Law School, stands out from other elder law and estate planning attorneys in that she worked as a registered nurse for four years and earned a Master of Science in Taxation with high distinction from Bentley College.  This unique combination of legal, nursing and taxation backgrounds enables Brigitte to provide outstanding legal guidance to her clients in their time of need.  Call (508) 238-3005 for a free phone conversation with Brigitte to learn if she can help.  You also may reach her through her website at www.vonweisslaw.com.  



The Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code (MUPC)   

Bristol County Family and Probate Court   

Plymouth County Family and Probate Court   

Norfolk County Family and Probate Court 

Alzheimer's Association

National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys

Massachusetts Chapter of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys

Massachusetts Area Agency's on Aging (AAA's)
  and Aging Service Access Points (ASAP's)

MassHealth form

Bristol Elder Services

Old Colony Elder Services

Hessco Elder Services  

Easton MA 

Easton MA Council on Aging   

Town of Easton MA website  

Easton MA Patch   

Easton MA Journal   

Easton MA Historical Society  

Children's Museum Easton MA 

Easton MA Garden Club 

HUGS II Easton MA 

My Brother's Keepers Assistance Easton MA 

Easton MA Community Access Television 

House of Possibilities Easton MA 


AARP estate planning article  

Forbes magazine estate planning article  

Kiplinger magazine estate planning article  

USA newspaper estate planning article   

American Bar Association's Estate Planning FAQ's  

New York Times article on estate planning  

US News article on estate planning  

Fox Business article on estate planning  

Los Angeles Times article on estate planning 


Abington MA Council on Aging  

Attleboro MA Council On Aging 

Avon MA Council on Aging  

Bridgewater MA Office on Elder Affairs  

Brockton MA Council on Aging  

Canton MA Council on Aging  

East Bridgewater MA Council on Aging  

Easton MA Council on Aging  

Foxboro MA Council on Aging 

Mansfield MA Council on Aging  

Norton MA Council on Aging  

North Attleboro MA Council On Aging 

Norwood MA Senior Center 

Plainville MA Council On Aging 

Randolph MA Council on Aging  

Raynham MA Council on Aging  

Rehoboth MA Council on Aging  

Rockland MA Council on Aging  

Sharon MA Council on Aging  

Stoughton MA Council on Aging  

Walpole MA Council On Aging 

West Bridgewater MA Council on Aging  

Whitman MA Council on Aging  



Comments (0)