Are we all cried out yet?
Are we still quivering in the corner mumbling about the good old days when we could spam the "Real Esate for Sale" section with anything but a specific listing to maximize our lead capture ability?
Well-- Craig Newmark put his foot down loudly, but all is not lost. While we dry our tears, and ponder this cruel, cruel world, we need to look to those that inspire us. Look to the great minds and leaders of our time that always ooze with pure, undulterated genious.
It's a little obvious but the person I look to in this scary and uncertain time of Craigslist is the legen (wait for it)....DARY Barney Stinson. When I ask myself "What would Barney Do" this is what materialized.
So, because one should not question this great mind... it drove me to look for the opportunities that still existed amongst this Craigslist crisis. I found quite a few pretty sweet little nuggets-- enough to fill an hour on a recent call I did for Market Leader.
3 tips to be more awesome with Craigslist
#1: Post your listing in 3 different sections of Craigslist
- Real Estate For Sale
- Gigs- Events
- Services - Real Estate
#2: You CAN have hyperlinks
- In the Gig-Events section, live links are allowed.
- If you're asking yourself, who the heck cares-- b/c no one would go there to look for real estate listings?...then check out tip #3
- (I just added this part to clarify from some questions received after the initial post) If you're also asking yourself, how is this not spamming? it's not if your post is truly an event, like "Open House" or "First Time home-owner class"
#3. Use Craigslist to get on Google!
- And not just on any page... page 1. It took me all of 3 minutes to test this theory when prepping for my webinar and I got the same listing ad I posted in the real estate for sale section and events section to appear in the top 2 spots on Google organically. Trust me, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!
- Not sure how? Check out my follow-up blog post on the steps I took...
Hungry for more?
Watch the whole webinar on "How to use Craigslist and Classifeds to grow your real estate business". and also learn about tips for writing effective ad headlines, using other Classified sites (yes-- the world outside of Craigslist) to generate free leads, and of course, much more :). While I do not work for Craigslist, the tips shared were done so with the best intention to stay in compliance with the rules of Craigslist. But beware, the rules can change at anytime, so be ready to adapt-- and in the mean time DIVERSIFY your lead gen efforts!
Free downloads: download class notes, slides, a list of Top Craigslist Ad Headlines suggested from over 900 agents on the call!