What events and activities do you have planned for Memorial Day weekend?
Our weekend consists of a variety of activities centered around honoring those who have given their lives while serving our country.
(Click the photo of the capitol to find out program scheduling for your local PBS station.)
Each Memorial Day, I start my day early with hanging the American Flag from our front porch.
As a Military Spouse, it always makes me proud to display our flag on patriotic holidays. We live in a subdivision where many of our neighbors display their flags also. It is heartwarming to drive through the streets of our community and see so many American flags displayed on homes and businesses. Patriotism is alive and well in Lake Ridge Virginia!
Living in Northern Virginia (just 20 miles south of Washington DC), we are very fortunate to be so close to our Nation's capital and its rich history.
This year we are considering these Memorial Day activities and events which are scheduled for cities in Northern Virginia:
- Fredericksburg: http://thunderforthecause.com/
- Vienna: http://www.vivavienna.org/
- Alexandria/Mount Vernon Sunset Celebration: https://secure4.gatewayticketing.com/MountVernon/shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=TKTS&C=ET
- Triangle: http://www.virginia.org/Listings/EventsAndExhibits/MemorialDayWeekendFreeConcert/
- Falls Church: http://fallschurchva.gov/MemorialDay
- Arlington National Cemetery: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/Events/Ceremonies/MemorialObservances.aspx
- Lorton: http://www.gunstonhall.org/index.php/events/calendar#
I would like to hear what events your family has planned for Memorial Day. Do you have a tradition you would like to share with others? Please feel free to include them in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading and sharing!