The garage sale, a great way to get rid of some clutter and make some money doing it! Many people look forward to garage sale season because it’s a chance to buy some great pieces at even better prices – a win-win for everyone!
If you’re planning on holding a garage sale to clear out some space in your home, read these tips for a successful garage sale before you get started:
- Make a Master List – create an inventory list of what you are selling, including the sales price, in case the tags go missing.
- Price it Right – You may want to set your prices slightly higher to account for haggling, but remember that shoppers are expecting bargain deals, so don’t price items so high that you won’t be able to sell them. Encourage shoppers to buy more by bundling items and by providing plastic or paper bags for them to carry their items in.
- Bigger is Better – When it comes to garage sales, bigger is better! Recruit friends, family and neighbours to sell their stuff along with yours. Bigger garage sales often attract more people.
- Prep your Items for Sale – make sure that the items you are selling are in good shape and give them a good clean. If you’re selling electronics make sure that they work and include the necessary chords & accessories. You should also be aware that in 2009 Health Canada issued a garage sale advisory that holds sellers responsible for ensuring that the items they sell meet Health Canada’s regulatory requirements. Visit Health Canada’s website for more information: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/garage-eng.php
- Safety First – Make sure that you can be seen from the road and always be aware of who’s there, especially if you have bigger ticket items for sale. Don’t let people into your house, instead direct them to the nearest coffee shop or gas station if they need to use the restroom. It’s also a good idea to keep your cash on you in a fanny pack or a sales apron.
- Set a Date! – According to Signs.com, Saturday is the best day of the week to hold a garage sale. Choose the date a few weeks in advance to give yourself time to prepare, and choose an alternate date as well, in case of bad weather.
- Let People Know – Advertise your garage sale in your local paper, on Kijiji or in the events listings on the City of Barrie’s website – Barrie.ca. Signs are also a great way to advertise. Choose bright coloured poster board and write the details of your sale in large black letters that drivers can see from their vehicles. Put up 6-8 signs a few days before to improve the chances of shoppers stopping by. NOTE: If you live in the City of Barrie make sure that you take your signs down after the sale. Signs left up could result in a $30-50 fine.
I hope this article has inspired you to plan a garage sale of your own! Please forward this information on to friends and family who may find it interesting and as always please feel free to contact our team with any questions about the Barrie real estate market or home buying or selling.