Hurricane Season 2014-How to Prepare an Emergency “To Go” Box!
With the 2014 Hurricane Season here, preparation is key. In a previous post I wrote about 10 important things that we can all do now to prepare for the season. One of those was to prepare an Emergency “To Go” Box.
You don’t have to live in an area known for hurricanes. Having a box or backpack that you have ready to go in the event you need to leave your home….. floods, tornadoes, gas leaks, fires, and other emergencies.
How to Prepare an Emergency “To Go” Box…
1. Sit down with paper and a pen and think about the day to day things you and your family would need if you had to leave your house.
Besides food and water, you will want items that you will need to exist and that you might not be able to find or purchase.
Remember, the normal places we would go for supplies may be closed or without power… places such as your grocery or hardware store, your bank or any ATM.
2. Consider where you live and the type of emergency you might encounter.
Those of us who live in Florida, would want protection from the rains, sun and mosquitoes, for example, after a hurricane.
3 Now this is important:
There are items you will want to go in that boxbut you need on a daily basis, but you don’t want to try to gather those things when you’re frantically trying to leave. Make a list of those items and keep it where you can find it.. taped on the box or on your fridge, you’ll know.
4. Store it in a place where everyone will know where to find it.
If each person has their own Emergency “To Go” box or backpack, make sure it is not buried in the back of their closet.
Things to include: This is your Emergency Kit, so tailor it to fit your needs. Also keep in mind that you may be without power for several days or more!
* A First Aid Kit
* Flash lights and batteries
* A battery operated radio and batteries
Note- if you can find the self-powered flashlights & batteries, even better.
* Headlamps- they free up your hands when you’re stumbling around your dark house.
* Emergency cash- ATM’s may not work. Don’t grab a stack of hundreds or twenties either. Make sure you have some smaller currency and coins.
* We love our GPS’s but don’t rely on them. Make sure you have a real road map, paper and pencils.
* Have a list of telephone numbers, especially those of your insurance agent! Don’t rely on the contact list on your phone!
* Extra clothing, contacts, glasses. Make sure you have sturdy shoes and lightweight windbreakers.
* Medications and a list of what you take.
* Tools- items such as a knife, scissors, duct tape, lighter and matches, large trash bags.
* Cooking items- a can opener, utensils and paper plates, paper towels, wipes, etc.
* Important papers, smartphone & tablet chargers, external hard drives or any other computer backups.
*Current photos of your family members and photos of your rooms and what they contain.
Personalize your Emergency “To Go” box to fit your needs. As you read this, you probably thought of items that your family would need.
The important thing is that you make a list and put your Emergency box together.