Summer school isn't like it used to be.
I remember growing up outside of Chicago, summer school was a taboo phrase. It was a bad thing. It meant failure. It meant going to school while your friends played outside and jumped in the pool.
Here in Missouri, it's almost a privilege to attend summer school. Bus service is provided to and from school. Breakfast and Lunch are provided by the school. Every Friday is a field trip. Prizes are given for perfect attendance.
Conway Elementary will again run a six week summer school this year.
The students pick six different classes, one for each week. They stay in their "group" for the entire program and the teachers rotate in and out of the classrooms.
My kids love it - they are exposed to teachers they might not otherwise get to have. They are with kids they might not otherwise have in their class - sometimes grade levels are combined to form a particular class. They are also exposed to subjects they otherwise might not be able to explore in the regular school session.
This year, some of the classes they are able to choose from:
- Space Invaders - journey though space. Make your own aliens, learn about planets and design space ships.
- Travel Missouri- what is Missouri famous for? Come learn about historical locations, authors, tourist attractions and our population.
- Fear Factor- use your knowledge of science experiments, reading, obstacle courses and research to win the very competitive game of fear factor.
- Presidents - so you want to be President? Let's write a campaign, presidential ad, slogans and commercials. What does it take to run this great country of ours?
- Land Living - what would happen if you had to live on the land? Doe you know how to catch your food? cook outdoors? sanitize your water? Let's learn to live on the land.
- Who Dunnit?- Students will solve mystery stories by choosing the setting, time and place, naming the crime committed, the suspects, their alibis and the detective. Come find clues and evidence while reading stories to solve the crime.
- Hunters Safety - earn your hunter's safety card
- Math Games- Let's learn to problem solve, use math every day and work in a group while playing some of the most fun math games on the market today. If you don't want to use your brain... this class may not be for you! Those who don't mind thinking a little... sign right up!
Additionally, they offer a program for incoming Kindergarten classes. This is a great, laid back introduction to the "big school." For the first time, they are allowed to take the bus. They eat in the cafeteria and have a "rest time." The class sizes are extra small and the pre-school teachers are there the first few weeks to help alleviate any fears.
Summer school at Conway Elementary is open to surrounding students. Actually, any child enrolled in a Missouri school can attend the summer session in Conway.
Summer school... it's a good thing!
Contact Debbie DiFonzo, Broker, United Country VIP Realty, at 417-468-5900 to list your property for sale or to purchase a property in Marshfield, Conway, Phillipsburg, Lebanon, Long Lane, or Buffalo, Missouri.
To view all our listings and auctions, visit: http://www.uctheozarks.com/
Contact Debbie at: Debbie@ucvip.com
Copyright © 2008 By Debbie DiFonzo, All Rights Reserved. The information provided herein is obtained from multiple sources and is deemed accurate but not guaranteed.