Have you been in a situation where you are torn between a pile of rocks and a hard place? Like demolishing an old house or deciding to build a new one? You see some people consider so many things first before coming up with a decision and there’s nothing wrong with that. Others consider the sentimental value attached to it especially if this particular house was bequeathed by our loved ones. If you’re buying it for yourself and you wanna make it the house of your dream it might be better to start with a clean sheet because you might have a house that’s too small, lacks character or whatever. However, if the cost of repair is too expensive then in this case you may consider demolishing the house and we have to understand the important steps to be taken before the house is demolished.
- Call and inform the utility companies such as the water, gas and electricity companies and inform them of your decision right away.
- You will need a permit before you can demolish your house so make sure to secure it.
- Consider safety first and foremost especially for older houses. Remember the hazardous materials that I discussed in my previous blogs. So make sure to get the house inspected.
- Consider recycling some useful things in the house such as bricks, fireplaces, features and woodwork etc.
- Ask a contractor for an estimated cost of the demolishing work so you can prepare the money ahead of time.
Demolishing a house is not an easy job. And the job belongs to the specialist. Consider the pros and cons before making the decision of demolishing your house. Follow the safety precautions and the rules in your area. It pays to know everything before making a final decision.