Services for Real Estate Pros with Midamerica Referral Network

City Mouse or Country Mouse?


Tranquil Sunset on Table Rockl Lake
When working with a client who wants to move to the Shell Knob area, I try to determine what their "Want to's and Got To's" are. 

We all have such a list in our minds, but may not have actually sorted it out completely.  You know what I mean:  Must have at least 3 bedrooms and 2+ baths, plus be on the water with a  GREAT VIEW and  BOAT DOCK.............and we want to stay price-wise, under $150,000, (I'm smiling.)

In this area of Table Rock Lake,  there is also the decision of living in a housing development, or being out  of town and away from immediate neighbors.  Being close to town, or having to drive for 15 minutes to get to the grocery or pharmacy?

  Shell Knob has several developments, in all price ranges, and locations.  Most of the developments have community water, and some offer sewer as well.  There is usually a Homeowners Association  and dues to maintain the utilities in these developments.  Others may provide the water, but homes have their own individual septic systems.

If someone wants to 'go native' and get their own little plot of land, it is still possible, but waterfront lot listings are becoming rare and of course, the old supply and demand axiom holds true:  Less supply equals higher prices.  Small acerage without waterfront or water views, is averaging $2,900/acre.

   Land around the lake varies from walk-down lots to bluff lots, and everything in between, as do the prices.   Here is where it pays to know the Corps of Engineers rules.  Table Rock is their lake, and they own the first several feet on each lot.  How many feet they own depends upon the survey markers.  These markers vary depending upon the lake elevation, but are marked. As stated in their Shoreline Use information, www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/tablerock/shoreline.htm, "Ownership of private land near the lake or adjoining government property does not convey any exclusive rights to use of the lake or adjoining public lands."

Once you have your land, you will learn where the surveyed Corps line is - locally it is called the "Take Line", as in the Corps 'took it'.  To do anything to the land from this 'take line' to the water, other than cut a meandering 6' wide path to the water, you must have a permit from the Corps of Engineers - a Shoreline Use Permit.  They also require a 25' space between that 'Take Line' and your construction. 

It can be frustrating at times, but the Shoreline Management Guidelines have kept this lake from becoming badly commercialized.  This is maintaining the clear, clean water that we all love for recreation and fishing.

Please contact me for more in-depth information.  Joan, toll free:  1-888-823-4125


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Missouri Barry County Shell Knob
Fishing for Professionals! (Not Professional Fisherman!)
shell knob real estate
corps line
takeline table rock lake

Spam prevention

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Joan Snodgrass

Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Additional Information