5 Things To Do In Austin, Texas This August - Summer has flown by! Can you believe back-to-school season is almost upon us? Your kids are probably experiencing the end of summer blues, dreading leaving summer vacation behind. Don’t you want to make the last days of summer extra fun for them? Luckily, there are plenty of great events and activities going on in Austin to get the kids out of their slump. Below are a few of our favorite things to do during the month of August; check them out and enjoy the rest of your summer!
Here are our picks for August in Austin:
1. Family Film Series: Hook, August 3, 3 p.m., Bullock Texas State History Museum: The Texas Spirit Theater – Beat the heat and introduce the kid to a family favorite movie – Hook! There’s no better way to cool off on a hot day than enjoying a fun film based on a classic children’s story. Admission is $5; learn more here.
2. Blues on the Green: Charlie Mars & Quiet Company, August 6, 8 p.m., Zilker Metropolitan Park – Head outside for a fun night at an outdoor blues concert! This free music event features Charlie Mars with Quiet Company. Visit the event website to learn more about the event and the musicians.
3. Austin Ice Cream Festival, August 9, 10 a.m.-7 p.m., Fiesta Gardens – I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Nothing feels as good on a hot sunny day like a big scoop of ice cream, and this festival has tons. Add games, activities, contests, and live entertainment and you have a day of fun fit for the whole family! Visit the festival’s website for more information.
4. Sound & Cinema: "Raiders of the Lost Ark", August 13, 7 p.m., Long Center Lawn – Introduce your kids to the classic Indiana Jones film by taking them to this fun event, featuring bands performing music from the motion picture! Grab your lawn chairs and some snacks and prepare for an adventure with Indy under the stars. This event is free; Visit the Sound & Cinema website for more details.
5. Summer Saturdays: Family Fun at the French Legation Museum, August 16, 1 p.m., French Legation Museum – Head to the museum on August 16 for a historical 19th century field day, complete with fun old-fashioned games! Tours of the historic house are also available. A great way to get your kids interested in history and have a great time! Visit the museum’s website to learn more.
What are your favorite things to do with your family before school starts? Let us know your ideas and tell us what you think of ours by leaving a comment below!