Forbes recently issued a report titled “America’s Coolest Cities 2014”. I’m pleased to say that my fair city of Houston was ranked #4 on the list just behind Washington D.C., Seattle, and Austin. Forbes teamed with Sperling’s Best Places to compile the list. They started with the top 60 largest metropolitan areas and ranked them using six factors. These factors included Arts & Culture, Recreation, Diversity, Local Eateries, Population (in the age range of 20-34), and Net Migration.
Now I’m not that surprised that Houston ranked high on this list. I've lived here all my life and I think it's a very special place. It’s nice though to see it in print. Houston doesn’t usually receive high accolades from outsiders and I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s because we live in the shadow of Big D even though we are the largest city in Texas and the 4th largest in the U.S.
So let me tell you why I think Houston is cool.
- World Class Arts - Ballet, Opera, Symphony, Live Theatre.
- Houston Zoo
- Museum District with 19 museums within walking distance of each other.
- Largest medical complex in the world.
- Major professional sports teams - Texans, Rockets, Astros, Dynamo.
- PGA tour stop.
- Award winning cuisine and some of the best restaurants on the planet.
- Shopping and entertainment venues second to none.
- Coastal city just 40 miles from the Texas Gulf Coast.
- Major concentration of Fortune 500 companies.
- Largest rodeo in the world.
- 50,000 acres of total park space.
- Energy capital of the world.
- The friendliest people you will ever meet.
For a more visual experience of all that Houston has to offer, visit Houston In Two Minutes.
If you would like more information about the current real estate market in the Houston area, please visit www.MayWallTeam.com.