Too often, we wash our hands of a transaction after closing. Too often, we miss the perfect opportunity to leave a lasting impression.
I travel quite a bit with Updater - just yesterday, I spoke to a Broker/Owner of a 45-agent brokerage. She said to me, "Updater is basically the perfect post-closing tool. I can't believe I never knew about you." I always knew that we were a fantastic post-closing tool/gift/service, but I never actually grouped Updater in that category because it's not a frequently discussed category. In fact, after a quick Google search for other post-close services, I found nearly nothing.
Therefore, I figured I'd share my own thoughts on why I believe after-closing services are crucial, and how I can help you.
WHY CARING POST-CLOSE IS IMPORTANT
- Finding a dream home is the fun part. It's the rest of the home buying or selling process that can be a nightmare. From escrow... to paperwork... to moving... to more paperwork. However, these truly dreaded processes don't have to be the last thing your clients remember about their experience with you. Try to find a way to leave a positive lasting impression.
- I realize how elementary this sounds, but it's true: ending a transaction on a positive note and delivering an amazing experience to your clients is a touchdown for future referrlas. It's simple - a happy buyer spreads the word.
MY TOP 4 POST-CLOSING SERVICE IDEAS
1. Updater. Updater is a one-stop shop that handles those time-consuming move-related tasks for your clients. It's kind of like Turbo Tax for moving and we brand the whole tool for you and personalize it for each of your clients. Think: forwarding mail, transferring utilities, notifying accounts and records, etc. I'll get off my soap box and let our site do the talking.
2. Clean the house. Moving is messy and you can't assume that the seller had the house professionally cleaned before the buyer moves into it. Dip into your pocket and have the house cleaned - it's always appreciated. Sites like Handybook, Homejoy and The Maids make it easier than ever before. A cleaning service you've used and trust is always a great choice, as well.
3. Provide a trusted partners list. Your out-of-town clients may not know great service providers in the area. Or, your local clients may be looking for a painter - we all know color is one key to a happier home. As a client, I trust my agent and trust his/her recommendations. A few ideas of service providers to include on the list:
- general contractor
- floor refinisher/expert
- interior designer
Your service provider partners will also appreciate this!
4. Put your post-closing marketing on autopilot with postcards. There are a few postcard companies out there that will hook up to your CRM and help you send a physical card to stay in touch. I'd recommend organizing cards to be sent on birthdays (maybe throw in a $5 Starbucks card?), home anniversaries, holidays, etc. Which service/product works best for you? Leave a comment below!
Bonus - Surveys are great. I don't consider them a post-close service, but don't forget about them. Surveys are a no-brainer way to increase your client satisfaction.
I hope this helps us all pack an impressive final punch in the client experience department. It's a stressful time for our clients... aka the perfect opportunity to make a big difference. A little goes a long way!