We hear a lot about setting goals and how powerful they can be in our lives. It stands to reason that if you want to own a home of your own then setting a goal to make that a reality will make that happen more quickly and more surely than if you merely wish for it or think about it every now and then.
Here are 5 tips that will greatly increase your chances of living in the home of your dreams much sooner than you thought possible.
- First, and most important, you have got to write your goal down and be very specific what you're after. Don't just write; "I want to own a home.". Instead write; "I want to own a 2200 square foot, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 car garage home with a fireplace and a large, wooded lot.". Being specific lets your mind's eye see you goal and focus on achieving it.
- Your goal must be measurable. For example, if you need to save some money for a down payment, break that into smaller goals and achieve them one at a time. In what will seem like no time you will have that down payment money in the bank.
- Your goal must be believable to you. In order to reach that goal you must believe you can; that is, for most of us, owning a luxury Caribbean beachfront mansion would not be believable while owning a 2,000 square foot brick home on a 1/2 acre lot in your city would.
- It must be something important to you that you have a clear purpose for wanting. "I want to own a home of my own to afford my family the security it offers, to have a yard to grow roses in, and/or to stop rent increases every year."
- And finally, and one of the most important goal setting tips; you must set a time limit to achieve your homeowner ship goal. "By June 10th, 2009, My family and I will own and be living in my 1800 square foot, 3 bedroom, 2 bath home on a 1/2 acre lot."
Following and implementing the 5 tips above are almost guaranteed to make a homeowner out of you.
The sooner you get started the sooner you'll be living in your new home.