Westlake Village, CA Real Estate Market Report for the 1st 8 months of 2014. Includes comparative statistics back to 2003.
The City of Westlake Village is nine miles inland from the Pacific Ocean and 38 miles west of downtown Los Angeles. It is a master planned community created in 1963 by the American-Hawaiian Steamship Company, who bought the 12,000 acre ranch for $32 million and, in partnership with Prudential Insurance Company, created the master plan for a “City in the country.” Many professionals collaborated to design a unique community that has become a nationally acclaimed model for the planned community concept. Westlake Village is recognized as one of America’s most successful suburbs and finest areas to live, work and raise a family.
We are situated in the northern foothills of the Santa Monica Mountains in western Los Angeles County, just 900 feet above sea level and flanked by the Simi Hills to the north and the Santa Monica Mountains to the south. We enjoy this beautiful southern California paradise, where the weather is always mild and there is plenty to do, all year round!
Our real estate market, like much of the country's, definately suffered during the Great Recession. Notice from the graph on the right that the median price booked so far this year (from Jan 1 2014 through Aug 30 2014) is down slightly from this same period last year, and it appears our market is just getting back to where it was in 2004, before the crisis became apparant and the market started its downward slide. Our number of sales has increased since the low point in 2009, but we are still not at the volumn we enjoyed back in '03, '04 and '05.
It's interesting to note that before the recession, many homes selling in Westlake Village were not as improved as much as they are now. For instance, remodeling standards and interior fashions change throughout a 10 - 12 year time span. Today, to get top dollar for your home, sellers are finding they are competing with homes that have been upgraded with custom features like granite, natural stone, new windows, energy efficient and many high end features.
As a professional REALTOR active in the Westlake Village market, I have a few suggestions for potential sellers. For a FULL market analysis AND a free, no obligation "Pre-Listing Recommendation" appointment, contact me anytime! I am happy to help, and deliver "Results That Make You Smile!"
1. De-Clutter (Storage units are CHEAP and many even give you use of their trucks!)
2. Update lighting and fixtures.
3. A coat of paint and upgrading floor molding and crown moldings in most every room will yield you $5,000- $10,000!
4. Repair the glaringly obvious.
5. If YOU hate it, then so will the new owner. REPLACE it!
6. STAGE, STAGE, STAGE!!! (WHEN YOU LIST WITH ME, I PROVIDE A 2-HOUR FREE STAGING APPOINTMENT WITH NANCY RANDAK, INTERIOR DESIGNER)
7. Choose a hands-on agent who will roll up her sleeves, give you valuable advise, schedule any and all appointments, help you get the house looking model home ready, Market your home professionally and GET YOU TOP DOLLAR. THAT AGENT IS ME! My track record in Westlake Village home sales will show you I am your best choice!
Kathy Smiley, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices CALIFORNIA REALTY
"Results that make YOU Smile!"
Visit the #1 Real Estate Search Website in Westlake Village