Even with the Internet which allows access to "LOOK" at thousands of homes online..... Do yourself a FAVOR and Hire A Realtor.
As the saying goes...."KEEP CALM & Let a Realtor Handle It" Why? I'll give you 10 reasons why?
1. You need someone to run interference when it comes time for the Appraiser to Appraise your home. Your Realtor can provide the Appraiser with the Comparable sales they used in order determined a proper listing price. This can be invaluable especially if the appraiser is not familiar with your neighborhood.
2. Your Listing Realtor is worth their Commission and weight in Gold during the most crucial time.....Contract to Closing. Many deals fall apart during this time and your Realtor is the one who has to run interference with the Loan Officer, Inspector, Appraiser, Buyer's Realtor, Closing Attorney, etc. There are so many things that they handle behind the scenes that you are not aware of in order to make sure that everyone gets to that CLOSING TABLE!
3. Your Buyer's Realtor is also worth their Salt as they make sure that you are not overpaying for a home, by telling you if the listing price seems high. They are the ones who have to negotiate an offer with the Listing Realtor, who then presents to the Seller. Realtors who have good negotiation skills can make or break a deal on your next dream home.
4. Your Realtor is a WEALTH of information on service providers. They can provide you with names of contractors from painters, roofers, inspectors, appraisers, landscapers, electricians, plumbers, HVAC Installers, Septic Repairman, Termite Inspectors, etc. Just think if you had to figure out which ones were the best and would not SCAM you! Your Realtor already knows which ones are the best for your needs as they have first hand experience with all of them.
5. Realtors make sure that as a Seller you are not doing anything that could land you in Jail, such as proper disclosure issues, complying with any State Regulations as a Seller, etc.
6. As a Buyer your access to Listed Homes is thru a Realtor. You cannot gain access any other way. Without Realtors you limit your buying experience to FOR Sale By Owners and they are not obligated to use Sales Contracts and Disclosure Forms that are there to protect you as a Buyer. This is critical!
7. Realtors act as buffers between buyers and sellers. Most people find it difficult to negotiate deals face to face when it comes to buying and selling a home. You may do yourself a disservice by not having a Realtor negotiate for you.
8. Your Realtor can be invaluable when you are working deals from out of State. They know the area in which you want to buy and You do not. They can help you find just what you are looking for without worry of the unknown such as Neighborhoods, Schools, Shopping, Places of Worship, etc.
9. Realtors keep your information Confidential. They are looking out for your best interests at all times and are focused on finding exactly what you are looking for in a home.
10. Realtor Networking, Advertising and Marketing far exceeds anything a For Sale By Owner can reach in the way of potential buyers.
Finally....Realtors are there for you AFTER the sale. Many times questions come up after you are in your new home and your Realtor is there to help you or hook you up with someone who can help you.