There is wide variability in how different people are affected by indoor mold. However, the long term presence of indoor mold growth may eventually become unhealthy for anyone. The following types of people may be affected more severely and sooner than others:
- Infants and children
- Elderly people
- Individuals with respiratory conditions or sensitivities such as allergies and asthma
- Persons having weakened immune systems (for example, people with HIV infection, chemotherapy patients, organ transplant recipients)
In some individuals, exposure to indoor mold can also can lead to asthma or to a lung disease resembling severe inflammatory asthma called allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. This latter condition, which occurs only in a minority of people with asthma, is characterized by wheezing, low-grade fever, and coughing up of brown-flecked masses or mucus plugs. Skin testing, blood tests, X-rays, and examination of the sputum for fungi can help establish the diagnosis. Corticosteroid drugs are usually effective in treating this reaction; immunotherapy (allergy shots) is not helpful.
Fungi or microorganisms related to mold / fungi may cause other health problems similar to allergic diseases. Some kinds of Aspergillus may cause several different illnesses, including both infections and allergy. These fungi may lodge in the airways or a distant part of the lung and grow until they form a compact sphere known as a "fungus ball." In people with lung damage or serious underlying illnesses, Aspergillus may grasp the opportunity to invade the lungs or the whole body.
Those with special health concerns should consult a medical professional if they feel their health is affected by indoor mold. Some types of mold can produce chemical compounds (called mycotoxins) although they do not always do so. Molds that are able to produce toxins are common. In some circumstances, the toxins produced by indoor mold may cause health problems. However, all indoor mold growth is potentially harmful and should be removed promptly, no matter what types of mold is present or whether it can produce toxins.
Individuals with chronic exposure to toxins produced by this fungus reported cold and flu symptoms, memory loss, muscle aches, sore throats, diarrhea, headaches, fatigue, dermatitis, intermittent local hair loss, cancer, and generalized malaise. The toxins produced by this fungus will suppress and could destroy the immune system affecting the lymphoid tissue and the bone marrow.
HOME INSPECTOR USA (Gainesville) offers Environmental services such as:
- Organic Microbial (Mold & Allergens) Screening & Testing
- Screening Indoor Air Quality Testing (Mold)
- Organic Microbial Photo Protocol
- Water Quality Testing (FHA)
Toxic mold can be inside walls, under tubs, behind appliances etc. and you may not be able to see it. Take the threat of Toxic Black Mold seriously, but remember that Mold can be eliminated in a short period of time and life can and will go on as normal!
Many species of mold and mildew (or the mycotoxins they produce) can cause or aggravate a number of ailments. Common effects from molds such as Stachybotrys Atra, Penecillium, Cladosporium and several strains of Aspergillius, are asthma, pneumonitis, upper respiratory problems, sinusitis, dry cough, skin rashes, stomach upset, headaches, disorientation and bloody noses. Numerous other species of mold and mildew are also toxic, and many mycotoxins are known carcinogens. Severe exposures can lead to internal bleeding, kidney and liver failure and pulmonary emphysema.
For more information relative to MOLD in your home or business contact Home Inspector USA. We offer Mold inspections, screening and testing in the folowing cities: Gainesville, Alachua, Newberry, Waldo and High Springs. We are the premier Mold Inspection and mold testing company in the Gainesville Florida area. Give us a call at: 850-814-3889. Home Inspector USA has the ONLY state of Florida Licensed Mold Assessor in Gainesville.