Photo by Jonathan Tasler -- See more of his great work HERE.
We've experienced a lot of love lately here in Kansas City. With the great World Series run by our beloved Royals, the solid play of the Kansas City Chiefs, outstanding health information sector leadership by KC based Cerner Corporation, and the ever-present outstanding BBQ, it's no surprise to those of us who live here. The rest of the country seems to be discovering what we've known our whole lives.
However, every time I read something like the recent Huffington Post compliment to KC, or Forbe's claim that we have a great downtown, it's usually just a picture of downtown with a two sentence blurb and no real meat to it. So, to give you and your not-from-KC friends some solid content that displays our greatness, here's a list of 10 great things about Kansas City. (Presented in no particular order, as they're all #1 for someone!)
- Town Topic Hamburgers. Thought Starbucks was the first business to have locations within a block of each other? Think again! Town Topic has been around for 78 years and counting. Two of their three locations are spitting distance from each other downtown. I once had lunch next to Derrick Johnson of the Chiefs at the counter here, so clearly our sports heros have good taste.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is one of the premier Art museums in America, and it's FREE to you to visit!
- The Harry S. Truman Library highlights not only one of our great Presidents, but an important era in the history of the United States.
- Our live music scene is fantastic. If you prefer popular, national tours, you'll be able to catch a show at the Sprint Center, or Cricket Wireless Ampitheater. If you like blues, a great local Indie scene, or just local bar country, you'll find it all throughout town. A great resource to find it all is on The Pitch's calendar.
- BB's Lawnside Blues & BBQ, Oklahoma Joe's (soon Joe's Kansas City), Next Year's Winner, Woodyard BBQ, Gates BBQ, Arthur Bryant's BBQ, Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ, Smokin' Guns BBQ, Rosedale BBQ....I could go on forever! There's more good BBQ here than most states in America have. Just go eat meat.
- Our sports scene is fantastic across the board. Not only are the Royals and Chiefs here, but don't forget Sporting KC, KU Baseketball, Mizzou Sports, Division II football powerhouse NWMSU Bearcats, the KC T-Bones, Kansas Speedway, affordable and abundant golf, and a great hunting and fishing environment. On top of that, we are covered by Sports Radio 810 WHB, the most powerful sports radio station in America.
- Excellent higher education availability. UMKC, Park University, Kansas City Art Institute, Rockhurst University, William Jewell College, Baker University, and many other opportunities exist here to expand your mind and skills.
- Entrepreneurship and innovation is thriving here as much or more than anywhere in the U.S.! Thanks to leaders like The Kauffman Foundation, The KC Startup Village, Silicon Prairie Partners, Think Big Partners, and Pipeline, Kansas City is the place to start a high growth company!
- Non BBQ Dining. #5 doesn't do it for you? Well, get out to Jess and Jim's, Plaza III, Gram and Dun, Bluestem, The Rieger, Port Fonda, Avenues Bistro, Piropos, Trezo Mare, The Farmhouse, Michael Smith, Justus Drugstore, or countless other local fine dining selections.
- This is a beautfiul city with great architecture. We have outstanding design throughout the city from historical greats like Frank Lloyd-Wright and Skidmore Owings & Merrill to award winning firms from our current era, like 360 Architecture, who also happens to be based in KC.
WOW! I know what you're thinking....10 isn't enough! Trust me, I know I've missed about a million excellent things in our city. If you have something to add to the list, attach it in a comment, tweet, or your own post!