How can I improve my home's value?
Buyers generally seek the least expensive home in the best neighborhood they can handle. You want to present a home that fits in the neighborhood but doesn't stand out too much. For example if neighbors homes are all 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths and 3000 square feet, additions that make your home 5 bedrooms and 3 baths, and 4000 square feet will make your house harder to sell. Improvements should make it show well and fit well in the neighborhood. Last-minute capital investments in large structural changes aren't likely to pay off. But cosmetic upgrades, like paint and landscaping help a home “show” better and often do pay off. Of course, all systems and appliances should work to get a top price.
Here are some simple (and inexpensive) ways to increase your home's value:
- Paint - give the interior a fresh new look with neutral colors that would appeal to everyone. Avoid bold colors that some buyers may not like.
- Cleaning - give the house a deep clean especially the kitchen, bathrooms, and floors. The cleaner the house, the better it shows. Make sure to neutralize any odors.
- Landscaping - add some color with plants and flowers. If you do not have automatic sprinklers, add them to the front and back yards.
- Energy Efficient Lighting - this doesn't seem like much, but buyers like to save money. LED lighting is the future and costs less than $5.00 a year to run.
- Update your counter tops - if your kitchen cabinets are in good shape but it needs a little updating, consider replacing the counter tops. Quartz looks great and is very durable for a kitchen!
- Update Appliances - are the appliances from the 60's? Consider replacing the stove and dishwasher. New appliances appeal to buyers.
- Get a home/pest inspection - This maybe a more expensive option, but having the knowledge of problems with the house is important! This will save a lot of stress and surprises during the transaction. Also this will give buyers peace of mind when they are considering buying your house.
To make your home competitive and attract more buyers and bids work with a professional real estate agent and start early. As an agent, I work with many buyers and see a lot of homes. When a house is dark and dingy, buyers are often turned off and won't give the house the time it deserves. When a house is bright and clean, buyers can imagine themselves living there and potentially write a full price offer. Buyers have specific criteria they are looking for in a home so making small changes to make your house appeal to as many buyers as possible is a great investment! Call me 209-225-9864 or 916-601-6986 today and I will set up a time to view your home and give you ideas as to what will increase your home's value. There is no obligation to list your home for sale! Request a Free In Home Consultation today!