CO Poisoning - The Silent Killer

By
Real Estate Agent with DFW FINE PROPERTIES 0506509

 

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is one of the leading causes of accidental poisoning in the United States. Smoke Detectors and CO detectors should be functioning in every home, apartment, lease home, vacation home, office building, condo, townhouse, and business.

 

WHAT ARE THE DANGERS

 

  • Invisible - Can't be seen or smelled
  • Deadly effects can occur within minutes
  • Can't be detected without CO Detectors

 

SYMPTOMS OF CO POISONING

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Chest Pain
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Confusion
  • Loss of consciousness
  • May appear to have flu like symptoms

 

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

 

  • Evacuate & call 911
  • Keep doors and windows open
  • Turn off fuel-burning appliances
  • Get a qualified technician to inspect

 

 ©Patricia Feager 11/8/2014

 

Posted by

Texas Law requires all license holders to provide the Information about Brokerage Services form to prospective clients.

Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice  

 

 dfw fine properties

 

DFW FINE PROPERTIES

                                        2900 W Southlake Blvd, Suite 180
                                        Southlake, TX 76092
                                        Office: 817-748-4800/FAX: 817-748-4900

                                         Patricia Feager
                                                        Cell: 469-951-4758

                                                        Email: patricia.feager@gmail.com

 

CERTIFICATIONS

Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Pricing Strategies; Mastering the CMA
Certified Military Relocation Specialist
Certified Negotiation Expert
C
ertified RE Probate Specialist

"With self-discipline most anything is possible." --- Theodore Roosevelt 

 

 

  

close

Re-Blogged 1 time:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
  1. Roy Kelley 11/26/2014 06:00 PM
Topic:
Home Improvement
Location:
Texas
Groups:
Active Rain Newbies
ECO ALL-STARS & GREENIES
Texas Real Estate
Local Expert
Aging-in-Place, Boomers, Castles & Dreams

Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Christine OShea - you should definitely check on your mom. It's hard for the elderly to stand on ladders, install new things like detectors and for some to simply follow directions on a package. I think when gifts are delivered, you will be assured that they are being used and they are functioning if you take one step further.

You're a good daughter who cares about your mom. Many parents don't have a child like you or grandchildren like yours either.

Nov 08, 2014 01:48 AM #20
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Okay.... thank you Roy Kelley. That was kind of you. 

Nov 08, 2014 01:49 AM #21
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Joanna Cohlan - Thank you! That's a photo of my granddaughter when she was a newborn. She's two now and I wish I could see her more often!

Nov 08, 2014 01:50 AM #22
Ambassador
1,769,665
Noah Seidenberg
Coldwell Banker - Evanston, IL
Chicagoland and Suburbs (800) 858-7917

I thank you for writing this post Patricia. So many people forget or do not properly protect their family of even themselves against this silent killer.

So many home inspections I have been involved with had broken or missing CO and smoke alarms

Nov 08, 2014 02:50 AM #23
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Thanks for your concern and support Noah Seidenberg. I think Insurance Companies should be mandated to put in big red letters a warning to the public when they send out their home insurance annual renewal, to the effect on how negligence impacts coverage. I hate those Riders they send with the tiny font in a language that is hard to understand even if you could read it.

I hate reading newspaper clippings or hear on the media that a fire or some accident was caused by owners negligence. All those broken or missing pieces mean something and shouldn't be ignored.

We all need to do a better job when it comes to home maintenance and home safety.  Thanks Noah.

Nov 08, 2014 03:00 AM #24
Rainmaker
774,003
Joanna Cohlan
Fresh Eyes For Your Home - Chappaqua, NY
Designing, Decorating & Staging Westchester Homes

She is a beautiful little girl.  What is her name?

Nov 08, 2014 04:51 AM #25
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Joanna Cohlan  her name is Adalyn and her parents call her Addie. I wish they lived closer to me.

Nov 08, 2014 05:04 AM #26
Rainmaker
1,847,567
Grant Schneider
Performance Development Strategies - Armonk, NY
Your Coach Helping You Create Successful Outcomes

Patricia - you can't emphasize this enough.  This is a silent killer.  Have your house checked and make sure you have the right CO detectors in the right places and they are working.

Nov 08, 2014 09:16 AM #27
Ambassador
3,743,217
George Souto
George Souto NMLS #65149 FHA, CHFA, VA Mortgages - Middletown, CT
Your Connecticut Mortgage Expert

Patricia everyone needs CO detectors in their home.  They are a cheap price for the lives they may save.

Nov 08, 2014 10:40 AM #28
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Grant Schneider and George Souto - I'm hoping that my Title to this post will be enough to get some attention to the public. I just hate to hear about tragedies that could have been avoided.

Nov 08, 2014 10:49 AM #29
Rainmaker
4,431,983
Gita Bantwal
RE/MAX Centre Realtors - Warwick, PA
REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel

I hope consumers will read this post. Everyone should have a CO detector. 

Nov 08, 2014 07:19 PM #30
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Thank you Gita Bantwal.  It's a small investment that can save your life!

Nov 08, 2014 09:38 PM #31
Rainmaker
3,188,377
Sally K. & David L. Hanson
EXP Realty 414-525-0563 - Brookfield, WI
WI Realtors - Luxury - Divorce

The installlation of CO2 detectors is mandatory in Wisconsin....and we sometimes still catch homes without them during an inspection.

Nov 08, 2014 10:30 PM #32
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

That's good information to know Sally K. & David L. Hanson!  Now if we  could convince everyone, regardless of where they live to have CO detectors and functioning many lives could be saved!

Nov 08, 2014 11:16 PM #33
Rainmaker
864,134
Debbie Walsh
Shahar Management - Middletown, NY
Hudson Valley NY Real Estate 845.283-3036

Pat this is a great post and that picture really hits home.  Every year you hear about someone in the news in regard to this.  If everyone would just make sure to have those detectors...

Nov 09, 2014 01:34 AM #34
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

That was very kind of you Debbie Walsh to recognize the tie in from the photo of my loved one, my granddaughter, to the message I was trying to conveny. 

Nov 09, 2014 04:54 AM #35
Ambassador
3,981,962
Debbie Reynolds
Platinum Properties - Clarksville, TN
Your Dedicated Clarksville TN Real Estate Agent

We had 5 adults that died a couple of years ago from CO poisoning from a gas heater. They were doing a fund raising event and sleeping in a trailer. So sad. 

Nov 09, 2014 10:57 AM #36
Rainer
79,843
RVA HomePRO Michael Hottman
RVA HomePRO Realtor with Keller Williams serving Hanover, Henrico, Chesterfiled and Richmond, Virginia - Glen Allen, VA
Helping you achieve goals in life & real estate

CO detectors should always be placed near fuel burning devices (gas hot water heaters, gas furnaces, gas fireplaces, gas ovens, etc.) and they should be checked several times a year and replaced every 5 years or so. A small insurance policy to keep your family safe - also gas appliances should be inspected annually to prevent these issues.

Nov 27, 2014 02:33 AM #37
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

Debbie Reynolds five adults dying is too many. Fund raisers are a good token of sympathy but prevention needs to advocated. It is very, very sad.

Nov 27, 2014 07:22 PM #38
Rainmaker
1,960,897
Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP
DFW FINE PROPERTIES - Southlake, TX
Selling Homes Changing Lives

RVA HomePRO Michael Hottman I'm assuming you found my post on Roy Kelley re-blog. If so, thank you very much for stopping by and sharing additional information about where CO detectors should be placed. That's very good information to know, along with how often it needs to be checked and/or replaced. We should all do our part to promote safety.

Thank you so much Michael.

Nov 27, 2014 07:26 PM #39
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?

Rainmaker
1,960,897

Patricia Feager, MBA, CRS, GRI,MRP

Selling Homes Changing Lives
Thinking about Moving to North Dallas?
*
*
*
*
Spam prevention

Additional Information