Potential sellers often ask if it's wise to list their home for sale in November. The answer, of course, is "it depends."
It depends on your motivation: Have you found your dream replacement home? Have you made plans to relocate out of the area? Do you have financial reasons that make a sale in the current year desirable?
It also likely depends on where you live.
If your home is anywhere in San Francisco, San Mateo County or the Silicon Valley, rest assured that buyers are out there, looking for property. That's true even over the Thanksgiving Day weekend. I'm taking one set of buyers to see homes in Willow Glen in San Jose today; another set of buyers to Redwood City tomorrow. Buyers are making appointment to see a listing of mine in Pacifica. Offers--most likely multiple offers--are expected on Sunday.
Here's one example of the time-line for a small house in South San Francisco which I listed in November:
- November 1 - signed listing agreement
- November 3 - entered listing into both San Francisco and San Mateo County multiple listing services
- November 8 and November 9 - held open houses each afternoon
- November 11 - received 4 offers; accepted one, put another into a back-up position
- November 18 -- buyer removed property and financing contingencies
- November 24 - seller signed off at title company; gave instructions to have proceeds of sale wired to his bank at closing
- November 25 - buyer removed final contingency
- December 2 -- sale should record as planned.
The seller is now able to close on his replacement property purchase; the first-time buyers will be settled into their own home in time for the holidays and to welcome in the new year.
Not every transaction moves as quickly as this one did, nor should they, but this was the perfect scenario for this particular seller. He's certainly glad he listed his home for sale in November.
Only you can decide when it's the right time for you to sell, but in our area, there's no bad time. If you'd like to talk about your needs, wishes, fears or concerns, give me a call and we'll brainstorm to find the right solution for you.