12 Professional Moving And Packing Tips
Moving day can be stressful enough, even if you have professional help, so here are a few tips on how to make your move from your old house into your new home go as smoothly and stress-free as possible:
1. Be ready for the moving truck when it arrives (even if you're renting one to move yourself).
2. Have all of your packing done before the truck arrives, and if possible even by the night before.
3. Make sure that there is room for the truck to park. It's a good idea to let the neighbors know, or if you are moving from an apartment building be sure to let the building manager know.
4. If you have kids, consider taking them to a sitter or arranging play time out of the house.
5. Double check closets, cabinets, drawers and cupboards for items that you might have missed.
6. Decide ahead of time what items you will be taking in your car and which items you want to put on the truck.
7. If you are keeping a number of items, it's a good idea to put them all in one room so that they don't end up getting moved by accident.
8. Many professional movers charge by the hour, so if you can put as many items as possible in the garage so that the movers can pack quicker.
9. Yard equipment like mowers and blowers should have any fuel emptied from their tanks.
10. If you are moving a freezer of refrigerator/freezer combo, be sure to defrost these before you try to move them.
11. Remove and box items from filing cabinets and safes.
12. Sketch a floor plan of your new house and decide where everything is going to go ahead of time, so that when your movers get to your new place the unloading can go as quickly as possible.
Following these 12 professional packing tips will help assure that your move goes as smoothly as possible.