Walking through your new home prior to closing is one of the most important steps that a consumer must do. There are some steps and tools that you can do to insure a successful walk through. Prepare now in order to enjoy a smooth process.
- Schedule a home inspection with a licensed home inspector. Check with the builder to make sure that all of the utilities will be turned on prior to the inspection.
- Gather up a few tools to help you make the most of your walk through:
- Pad and pen
- Small level
- Blue painters tape
- Copy of Inspection report if done prior to walk through
- Copy of list of Builders upgrades and standard features
3. Make sure you give yourself adequate time for the walk through with no distractions.
4. Do not sign off on any builders lists until you are sure that everything is to your satisfaction.
5. Ask the builder for a time line of when the items on the list will be completed.
6. If everything cannot be agreed upon or repaired prior to closing, decide if you will accept the home
and if you do, get everything in writing of what the builder will complete and when!
7. After the walk through, type up your report with your pictures and send a copy to the builder as
verification of what was discussed.
8. Schedule a follow-up visit if possible before closing.
9. Understand that nothing is perfect. There will be flaws so don't be upset with a long list.
10. Be persistent in getting the items completed.
A new home is a wonderful thing! Insuring that everything is in good working order and the home is delivered to you in great condition is a must! Just another reason that having a buyer's agent working for you is important in the new home buying process!
We love new homes and we are here to assist you with your next purchase! Give us a call today at 936-203-0279! We will walk you through the new home buying process!