Stay Safe - Carbon Monoxide is Know as The Silent Killer

By
Real Estate Broker/Owner with Top Agent Plus

The holiday season is upon us and so are the winter months. Last winter was a bit brutal here in the Northeast with many areas experiencing numerous power outages.

Winter Storm 2012


While we hope this winter will be a bit more mild, we still need to take precautions to keep safe and warm while avoiding deadly carbon monoxide poisoning. I hope that everyone reading this is up to code and has not only installed smoke alarm/detectors in their home, but also carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is odorless which makes it extremely dangerous, but there are precautions you can take to minimize your risk.

Here are few safety tips to help you reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors annually.
  • Inspect your chimney, flue and heating system annually and have them cleaned by a professional.
  • Check to make sure no critters have taken up residence in your chimney and remove any debris like leaves, nests or branches.
  • Clear blocked exhaust flues - Especially any accumulated SNOW or ice.
  • Never operate gas powered engines inside an enclosed area (garage or basement).
  • Do not leave a vehicle running in the garage even with the door open.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, or other illnesses. Be aware of the signs as they can become more severe and potentially fatal very quickly. Some of symptoms include:

  •  Shortness of breath
  •  Mild nausea
  •  Mild headache
  •  Dizziness
  •  Unconsciousness

Caution: High levels of carbon monoxide gases can become combustible. If you suspect carbon monoxide seek assistance immediately and Call 911.

Copyright © by Judy Jennings - all rights reserved. - Stay Safe - Carbon Monoxide is Know as The Silent Killer

Comments (32)

Winston Heverly
Winston Realty, Inc. - Atlantis, FL
GRI, ABR, SFR, CDPE, CIAS, PA

Judy, another nice read with some great pointed highlights to help in our businesses.

Dec 16, 2014 12:39 PM
Laura Cerrano
Feng Shui Manhattan Long Island - Locust Valley, NY
Certified Feng Shui Expert, Speaker & Researcher

Get your detectors ready and be on alert and live life and the rest takes care of itself.

Dec 16, 2014 03:11 PM
Pamela Seley
West Coast Realty Division - Murrieta, CA
Residential Real Estate Agent serving SW RivCo CA

There does seem to be in the news every year someone who dies from carbon monoxide poisoning. Good post and reminder, 

Dec 16, 2014 04:14 PM
Kat Palmiotti
406-270-3667, kat@thehousekat.com, Broker, eXp Realty - Kalispell, MT
Helping your Montana dreams take root

Very good reminder, especially important in the winter when all the windows are closed and heat is on.

Dec 16, 2014 06:52 PM
Sham Reddy CRS
H E R Realty, Dayton, OH - Dayton, OH
CRS

Thanks for sharing very important safety information for real estate professionals and our clients/customers on the hidden dangers of CO!!!

Dec 16, 2014 07:26 PM
Mike Belobradic
Johnston & Daniel Oakville - Oakville, ON
Your Trusted Advisor in Oakville Real Estate

Last year during the prolonged power outage due to a severe ice storm here there were tragedies as a result of propane grills being used indoors for heat. So this is a very important message to spread, particularly at this time of year.

Dec 16, 2014 07:53 PM
Dorie Dillard Austin TX
Coldwell Banker Realty ~ 512.750.6899 - Austin, TX
NW Austin ~ Canyon Creek and Spicewood/Balcones

Good morning Judy,

Excellent information to get out for everyone to make sure they are in compliance with the newest codes.

Dec 16, 2014 08:23 PM
Richard Robibero, e-Pro, ABR, SRS
Panorama R.E. Limited - Toronto, ON
Selling Your Home as if it were My Own!

Good reminders Judy Jennings . As Mike mentioned during our storm up here last year a few people turned on propane heaters indoors and lost their lives because of it.

Dec 16, 2014 09:13 PM
Gita Bantwal
RE/MAX Centre Realtors - Warwick, PA
REALTOR,ABR,CRS,SRES,GRI - Bucks County & Philadel

Thnak you for the great tips. This is a timely reminder.

Dec 16, 2014 09:13 PM
Ginger Harper
Coldwell Banker Sea Coast Advantage~ Ginger Harper Real Estate Team - Southport, NC
Your Southport~Oak Island Agent~Brunswick County!

Thanks for reminding us. The 1st of the year is a great time to change them out..

 

Dec 16, 2014 09:19 PM
Nina Hollander, Broker
Coldwell Banker Realty - Charlotte, NC
Your Greater Charlotte Realtor

Great reminder, as this time of year we are always hearing about people who've had carbon monoxide poisoning.

Dec 16, 2014 09:41 PM
Richie Alan Naggar
people first...then business Ran Right Realty - Riverside, CA
agent & author

If those symptoms are ignored, being no respecter of persons, it can result in leaving before your scheduled departure...Why do that?

Dec 16, 2014 09:51 PM
Rob Arnold
Sand Dollar Realty Group, Inc. - Altamonte Springs, FL
Metro Orlando Full Service - Investor Friendly & F

Great advice.  It is important to be prepared and have these devices working.  I tell my tenants to test them once a month.  Home Depot does sell devices that are guaranteed for 7 years now.  

Dec 16, 2014 09:56 PM
Rob Ernst
Certified Structure Inspector - Reno, NV
Reno, NV-775-410-4286 Inspector & Energy Auditor

CO is the silent killer. although less than 500 people die each year from it. More men die likely due to the last two things on your list. The amount of people that get sick or permanently injured by CO poisoning is allot higher  Detectors alarm at high levels so know your detectors alarm point. Even long term exposure to levels below what the detector alarms at can be dangerous to ones health. If you suspect CO is present call in someone with the right equipment to evaluate it. Many Energy Auditor like myself can do testing.

Dec 16, 2014 10:40 PM
Ed & Tracy Oliva
West USA Realty - Arizona - Fountain Hills, AZ
The Oliva Team Arizona Agents

Judy, great share and information. Much needed. Blessings during the holiday.

Dec 16, 2014 10:51 PM
Will Nesbitt
Nesbitt Realty at Condo Alexandria - Alexandria, VA
Nesbitt Realty is a family-run brokerage.

For Pinehills, MA Real Estate sales, call 508-725-5858 for Judy Jennings.

Dec 16, 2014 11:57 PM
Judy Jennings
Top Agent Plus - Middleboro, MA
Tap into Judy's real estate expertise & resources.

Thanks for all the great comments. This message is an important one. Happy Holidays to all my Active Rain peeps! Stay safe and warm.

 

Dec 17, 2014 12:16 AM
John Mosier
Realty ONE Group Mountain Desert - Prescott, AZ
Prescott's Patriot Agent 928 533-8142

Thanks for your post, Judy Jennings. Carbon Monoxide should be taken very seriously.

Dec 17, 2014 01:48 AM
Kevin Mackessy
Blue Olive Properties, LLC - Highlands Ranch, CO
Dedicated. Qualified. Local.

We akways recommend hard wiring the co/smoke combo units with the lithium battery.  It last for ten years and you don't have to worry about changing the battery through then. 

Dec 17, 2014 06:36 AM
Bob Arena - home inspector:-)
Arena Home Inspections - #1 in USA !!! - Cumming, GA

Excellent post....thank you for sharing !!

Carbon Monoxide Detector - Santa should put one in every stocking this Christmas !!

Dec 20, 2014 08:57 PM