Have Fun at Home - Make it Safe and Warm
My husband and I enjoy watching the National Lampoon movie "Christmas Vacation" as a silly break from the holiday craziness. Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase), the well-intentioned but hapless homeowner, is determined to stage the best Christmas ever for his family. But he tries too hard and makes a mess of things. During the scenes when Clark is anxiously putting up Christmas lights, my husband is constantly saying "That's not safe" at everything Clark does. From climbing up an unstable ladder, to using a stapler on electrical wire, to the overloaded multiple-extension cord power outlet, Clark is a lesson in what NOT to do around the home during the holidays.
Home For The Holidays Should Be Safe
No one wants to think of bad things happening during this cheerful season, but the US Consumer Protection Commission reports that there are some 12,500 injuries each year related to decorating the home. With a few precautions (and a little common sense), some of these hazards can be avoided. A good starting point is the list of safety tips published by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Here are a few:
- Only use holiday lights classified for outdoors on the outside - don't mix them up with indoor lights.
- Keep lit candles 12 inches from anything flammable and remember to blow them out at night. (Or get a few of those battery - operated candles. I know, not the same ambiance, but they are safer!)
- Water the tree regularly (if it's a cut tree, of course! In fact, here's a great article on how to keep a cut tree fresh.)
- Unplug tree lights before leaving the house or going to bed. (Also a good time to check those candles.)
- Have your fireplace flue cleaned before using it extensively.
- Check all fire extinguishers and make sure everyone knows where they are and how to use them.
- Reverse overhead ceiling fan blades to direct the heat down into the room to keep you warmer.
So, stay warm, enjoy your holiday decorations, but don't be a Clark Griswold - Be Safe! And call us if you want to hear more about home related information in Camas, Washougal and Fisher's Landing. We're your locals!