Paperwork needed for VA Loan

Mortgage and Lending

As part of the Florida VA mortgage purchase process, service members, veterans, among other eligible military members must prove eligibility to the lender. At the time of submitting a VA mortgage application, there will be specific documents that are needed for VA Purchase, some of which may be obtained online by the lender after the borrower has signed related forms.

DD Form 214

Your DD-214 is your proof of military service. It shows the nature of your discharge, dates of service, and current classification (retired, separated, Guard or Reserve status). The DD-214 is one of the most important documents you'll get when you leave military service. You'll need it to claim military benefits including VA loans, the GI Bill, and medical services provided by the VA.

Form 26-1880

Before you get a VA loan, you will need a VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)   Your COE will establish that you meet the necessary guidelines to take advantage of your hard-earned VA loans benefits. If you are a military veteran, we will be help you get this document. Fill out our request form and we will send a blank VA Form 26-1880 (Request for a Certificate of Eligibility) to you by mail or email.

Discharged Members of the National Guard or Selected Reserve (never activated for Federal active service)

-These individuals must submit Point Summary or Report of Separation and Record of Service Statements. Depending on the branch of service, these form names may vary. NGB form 22 and 23, and AF526 are some of the more common forms.

- Generally 6 years of participation and evidence of honorable discharge  is required to be eligible.

Form 26-1817 – Request for Determination of Loan Guaranty Eligibility – Unmarried Surviving Spouses

The 26-1817 must be completed and submitted by reservists, National Guard Members, military spouses and others who may be eligible for a VA loan. Eligible surviving spouses must submit this form by U.S. Postal service; it cannot be done electronically. Since it can take several months in order to receive the Certificate of Eligibility, potential borrowers should prepare for this in advance of finding a home that they would like to purchase.

Surviving Spouse of Service member Who Died on Active Duty

If a surviving spouse is receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, also known as DIC, there are no other documents that must be sent.

If a surviving spouse is not receiving DIC, the following documents must be sent:

·        Copy of the DD Form 1300 (Report of Casualty) from the military

·        Copy of the marriage certificate

·        The service member’s social security number on all papers

Surviving Spouse of Veteran Who Died as a Result of Military Service

·        If the surviving spouse is receiving DIC, a copy of the award letter should be sent.

·        If the surviving spouse is not receiving DIC, the following must be sent:

·        Copy of the Veteran’s DD Form 214

·        Copy of Veteran’s death certificate

·        Copy of the marriage certificate

·        The veteran’s social security number on all papers.

According to the VA website, this is a good time for the surviving spouse of service member who died on active duty and surviving spouse of veteran who died as a result of military service to send a signed statement applying for DIC since, if eligible for a home loan, the borrower will also be eligible for monthly payments under DIC.

For many people, obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility is done quickly online. However, this may not always be the case, especially when the applicant is a surviving spouse or discharged member. It is important to send in the required documentation well in advance of applying for a VA home loan.

Many people are not even aware that they qualify for VA loan eligibility which has many benefits, including 100% mortgage financing and no monthly mortgage insurance costs!   A knowledgeable, local Florida VA lender can help a mortgage applicant with any of these documents and submissions so that they can obtain their VA eligibility status.


Please call Ph: (904) 385-3988 or visit for assistance with your VA home loan in Monroe or Collier County


Serving Collier County 7 days a week including Ave Maria, Everglades City, Immokalee, Marco, Marco Island, Naples, Naples Manor, Monroe County -  Big Pine, Islamorada, Key Colony Beach, Key Largo, Key West, Layton, Marathon, Sugarloaf Key

Posted by

 Five Stars Mortgage

National Leading Mortgage Resource 

95% Jumbo Loans, Government and Conventional Home Loans

Ph: 800-871-2636 - 7 days a week

Five Stars Website *  Facebook  *  Twitter  *  Google +



This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Lending / Financial
Florida Monroe County Key Largo
key west
monroe county
key largo
va lenders
paperwork needed for va loan
va appraisal and approval
va application process collier county

Spam prevention

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Five Stars Mortgage

Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Additional Information