So one thing we deal with in property management is emergencies by our tenants, and while it is always stressful and difficult, it is always so amazing to me how many can be prevented.
This week I had two: One is a hospitalized resident with carbon monoxide poison and the other had a cooking fire. Both would be difficult to stop, but the alarm is what was missing.
In the first case the detector was too old to detect the issue as the tenant had a plug-in type that was years old. Did you know the sensors wear out over time?
The second was a kicthen fire that happened while her back was turned. The smoke detector was old and the battery died, and she took it down to stop the chirping, with the intent to get another battery and put it up later. While in another room she didn't realize the kitchen was on fire and now she too is in intensive care.
So this week, forgo the cost of one meal out of the home and get a new detector and a pack of batteries!