I hope you had a wonderful Christmas holiday season! Lots of cold weather and rain or snow will be the norm this month, so all but one of the items on our home maintenance To-Do list takes place indoors:
1. Check your roof along the eaves for icicles and debris blocking proper drainage. If the water isn’t draining, it can lead to ice dams that force water under your shingles and into your attic. To see a video showing how to remove ice dams, click here. And make sure your downspouts are clear and drain away from your foundation. If ice blocks up the end of the downspout, water can build up around your foundation and lead to moisture in your crawlspace or basement.
2. Pack up and store your holiday decorations.
3. Change your water and icemaker filters.
4. Change the air filter in your furnace to keep it operating at tip-top efficiency.
5. Check your fire extinguishers and replace or recharge them if necessary. Also, check your fire and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace the batteries.
6. Pick one closet each week and clean it out and organize it. Now is the best time to buy organizational items like totes, closet shelving and the like. Get rid of everything that you haven’t used in a year – donate it or toss it.
7. This is a great month to work on your home inventory. Again, do it a little at a time by choosing one room each week or two, write down everything that’s in it, and take photos or videos. Keep a copy in a safe place off the premises, in a safe deposit box, or at your office. Here are some tips and printable checklists to help you do this efficiently.
Have a wonderful January, and stay warm!
The above information on the Fruitland real estate market was provided by Barb Hutchinson. Barb can be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 208-707-4663. Barb has helped people move in and out of homes in The Treasure Valley in Southwest Idaho for the last 27 years.
Thinking of selling your home? I love to share my marketing expertise!
I sell homes and real estate in the following southwest Idaho towns: Payette, Fruitland, Parma, Emmett, New Plymouth, Weiser, Caldwell, and Nampa, ID
Did You Enjoy This Real Estate Article?
Subscribe To My Blog – It’s FREE and No Spam EVER! Get my blog articles in your inbox as soon as they’re published. Click here to subscribe