This time of year the thoughts and actions of many turn to self improvement. Whether it's losing weight, exercising more or vowing to be a better person, goals is the word of the month. Unfortunately for most, those goals fall by the wayside within a few short weeks. Why?
We Want Instant Gratification
Because even though change is good, change is not easy and it can take a long time to see results. We live in a time when instant gratification is expected. Why not? There's a pill to lose weight fast, there are machines that promise to make you look like a body builder in just a few short weeks, and then there is the Internet...the ultimate instant gratification fix. But unfortunately, your real estate goals will probably not fall into the category of instant gratification.
Don't Worry About Things You Can't Control
As a sales person one of the hardest times of the year is January. January is a clean slate. Very little, if any is on the books and you can't help but wonder if this year will be as good or bad as last year. Selling real estate is no different. Real estate agents make lofty goals based on so many circumstances that are completely out of their control. Real estate agents are powerless over a down market, increasing interest rates and consumer confidence. This alone could make you not want to get up in the morning. Those goals can look unattainable at the beginning of the year in a slow market.
How's Your Work Ethic?
But the good news is that real estate agents are able to control the most important factor in sales; their work ethic. There will always be consumers looking to buy or sale a property...ALWAYS. The difference is that we must now dig deeper to find them. We can achieve those lofty goals by breaking them down into manageable numbers. Start with your annual income goal and divide it by 12 to see how much you need to make each month to achieve your goal. Once you have the monthly income goal, break it down further by calculating how many properties that number represents. If that number still looks unattainable then you may want to consider adjusting your goal, but if the number looks realistic it's time to put in the work.
Time to Get to Work
- Start by calling everyone in your sphere of influence to see if they know anyone who may be looking to buy or sale this year. Remember, if you don't ask for the referral you will never get it.
- If you haven't been on top of your business, follow up with everyone you met at an open house in the past year to see if they are still looking to make a purchase. Don't be afraid to make the call...all they can do is say no.
- Ask agents in your office if you can hold open one of their listings.
- Implement the marketing plan you developed.
- Knock on some doors in your neighborhood and give your neighbors the most recent CMA.
- Look for networking opportunities that will put you in front of strangers.
One Client at a Time
There is no instant gratification in real estate. It takes time to build a thriving business. Since you don't have much business, now is the time to use your time to get people in your pipeline. They may not want to buy in January, but you'll still need the money in June when they are ready. Now is the time to plant the seeds for success. Goals are like that old elephant joke...how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. How do you reach your real estate goals? One client at a time.
- Build Your Business by Building Trust
- 3 Ways to Help Real Estate Agents Work Smarter
- 7 Do's and Don'ts for Real Estate Agents
- You Cannot Motivate People
- Organize Your Day and Find More Time
Real-Life Real Estate Training – Real Training, Real Results!
- Have you struggled turning contacts into clients?
- Are you working hard, but hardly making any money?
- Are you beginning to think you made a bad career choice?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions you are in the right place! The Real-Life Real Estate Training program was designed to transform you and your business so that you achieve your goals. It doesn’t matter what stage in your real estate career you are in…new, experienced, or somewhere in between, our systems will help you focus your time, energy and effort on the right areas of your business. The Real-Life Real Estate Training program was designed by an active real estate agent, so our program is totally realistic, doable and easy to put into action immediately. You’ve learned how to become a real estate agent, but now it’s time to learn what it takes to BE a real estate agent. My name is Candy Miles-Crocker and I’d love to talk to you if you still have some questions or need additional information. Fill out my online contact form or give me a call at (202) 669-1924. Check out what our valued clients have said about us on our testimonials page.