- The average ear of corn has 800 kernels, arranged in 16 rows.
- There is one piece of silk for each kernel.
- A bushel of corn contains about 27,000 kernels.
- Each tassel on a corn plant releases as many as 5 million grains of pollen.
- Corn is an ingredient in more than 3,000 grocery products.
- One bushel of corn can make 33 pounds of sweetener, 32 pounds of starch, or 2 1/2 gallons of ethanol fuel.
New evidence has been found for the earliest domestication corn in Mexico about 8,700 years ago (6,700 BC). Domesticated maize (corn) had reached Panama by 5,600 BC and northern South America by 4,000 BC.