Colorado Springs School Choices
I am often asked by prospective Colorado Springs residents which school districts are the best in Colorado Springs. The good news is that Colorado Springs has excellent school districts. The better news is that parents can often times CHOOSE a school that is not within the neighborhood if it is a better fit for their child. This process is called "Choicing in" or "Open Enrollment."
What is Open Enrollment?
Colorado Springs residents have the benefit of choice. Residents are able to choose different schools from their neighborhood schools during what is called "Open Enrollment."
- Criteria must be met and if there is no open space in a desired school, the child may be put on the waiting list or the school may do a lottery to determine.
- Most districts have open enrollment during January and February for the following year.
- If choosing to enroll your child in a school other than your local school, transportation may not be provided.
- School districts have the choice to deny an open enrollment request for a variety of reasons.
- If a particular school does not have enough space to grant all request for open enrollment, preference is generally given to students within the school district.
Check with the school district to be advised of their policies.
Another site that shows grades given to schools based on reviews can be found here at