I was just talking about how I'm sick of winter weather and now I'm looking forward to Iowa's balmy 60 degree weather this week. I will take it! So, now comes spring maintenance time. After coming out of the long winters it's always refreshing to clean up, fix up, & spruce up our homes. Here are some home maintenance musts that should be thought of doing every year:
1. Clean out those gutters and check for leaks. Are there any water stains on your siding, brick, stucco? It may mean that your gutters are not properly functioning. Also, make sure all the downspouts are attached and draining away from your house to prevent water in your basement.
2. Inspect your roof to keep it at it's top performance. Are there shingles that have shifted, are missing or have nails popping up? Time to fix them to prevent further damage to your roof.
3. Look around your chimney for missing bricks or any vegitation. If you have either it may mean you have water infiltration.
4. Check your foundation for any masonry cracks. Hiring a foundation specialist may be beneficial to address fixing those issues.
5. Are your windows still tight? Check that weatherstripping & caulking are still intact. If you have experienced condensation inside your window panes, you may need to replace the glass or window completely. Check with your local window specialist. While you're checking those windows, give the glass and screens a good wash!
6. Spring is a good time for general cleaning inside your home: Dust or vacuum your woodwork, including above the window casings, fans, light fixtures, wall cabinets. Launder or vacuum your window treatments. Wipe your blinds down with a damp cloth. Vacuum your upholstery. Maybe even consider a cleaning of your carpets. In the kitchen and bathrooms, wash the cabinets, backsplashes, and tile with mild cleaners. While you're doing this, look for cracks in your grout and repair as necessary.
7. Go around the house and touch up paint on both walls and painted woodwork.
8. Check your air conditioner. Replace filters, check hose connections for leaks, make sure drain pans are draining freely, and vacuum any dust that has settled on the unit. These tips will keep your air conditioner running efficiently.
9. Search attics for pest infestation and mold.
10. Check for leaky faucets, clogged drains & sweaty pipes.
11. Clean up your lawn from the fall. Remove debris, branches, and leaves. Leaving them can suffocate the grass beneath. Start thinking of if you are going to treat your lawn for weeds, plan for your garden and start prepping your lawn tools.
12. Look for loose, warped, or splintered deck boards. Sweep and clean your deck to prolong it's life. If your wood deck is looking faded and worn, you might want to consider staining and treating your deck to make it look new again!
13. Outdoor furniture and fixtures need to be looked after too. Give them a wash, check for any rusting or fading and remedy accordingly.
14. Last but not least make sure that grill is in tip top shape for all that good food you're going to making on it! Check burner jets, make sure that the connections are tight and that the propane tank is full! For the charcoal grill lovers, clean the ash and grease residue. Your grill will be ready to go!
Spring has hopefully sprung! Hope you enjoy the upcoming warmer days!