Ready to list? Spring is just around the corner in Mecosta County, MI
Sellers and home owners:
If you are planning to have your home listed for sale this Spring, now is the time to get started on those fix-ups that always seem to take longer than you think! Photos will be taken of your home as soon as you list, so you want it to sparkle inside and out.
1) Clean everything as thoroughly as possible. Buyers want to see that your home and land are well cared for. Stand in the doorway entering a room and take a good look. Fingerprints on the light switches? A few knicks in the paint? Touch it up for your best presentation.
2) That front entry is key! Make it look great. If you need a new storm door, don't hesitate. It is likely the first thing the buyer will see.
3) Clean up all debris from the yard now, before those flowers start poking through the ground, and the job is much, much easier to accomplish!
4) If you are considering any major projects (or minor projects), consult a Realtor® for input. There may be more important items needing repair or replacement for the best market value to a buyer, and some things are best left for the buyer to choose their desired look.
5) When painting and repairing, stay away from "custom" looks. While it may be trendy today, the buyer may not like it at all, or will be looking to change it in the future. Stay away from sponge painting, texturing walls or ceilings, adding murals, country decorative painting, etc.
6) If adding new countertops, keep it simple. The more "unique" the finish, or unusual the color, the fewer buyers will like them.
7) Same goes for tile... as above! Many buyers do not like cold tile floors.
8) Keep your colors neutral throughout. That does not mean beige, necessarily. There are many neutral tones of blue, grey, even some greens in addition to the many shades of whites, beiges, taupes. Then add splashes of color with throw pillows, accent rugs, etc.
9) Remove any unnecessary furniture! You are selling space - don't clutter it up. Also remove any "collections". You want people focusing on your home - not your stuff. (Also remove items like guns and expensive jewelry for safekeeping).
10) A spotless bathroom is most important. No one wants a home with a germy-looking bathroom. Remove all excess bottles of stuff - put it away!
Buy a couple nice looking bright towels to display for showings.
If you are not sure what may help your home sell, give me a call and I would be happy to give you some ideas.
Remember, there are only so many buyers who will purchase a home this year. The sooner that you list, the more potential buyers there are for your home.