The Importance Of Proper Deck Cleaning
We made it spring time is finally here! The warmer weather always motivates us to get out and do yard work, wash the car, and start barbecuing. This time of the year is busy for most companies and for SoftWash Pros it's no different.
Where do you start?
We are asked all the time how, why, and where to start when it comes to deck washing and deck restoration services. The first thing we tell our clients is to have a professional, licensed, insured, and proven company to come out and give you a quote. With regards to pricing we have always found that the companies who offer the lost pricing are providing a sub par service and are usually not in business for to long. It is very important to find a company that has plan and believes in customer satisfaction. Lets face it the construction landscape in America is tarnished by many.
How should I not clean my deck?
The importance of proper deck cleaning comes down to how the deck cleaning services is being performed. If I were the customer the number one question to them would be. Are you using pressure to clean my deck? If they answer yes, then run away and thank them for their time. No deck or wooden surface should be cleaned with pressure. Customers are sometimes amazed at this concepts, but if you think about it then it makes sense. The whole purpose is to rid your surface of mold and mildew. If you were to just blast away at the wood then you only remove it from the surface but your not killing it. Using pressure also pushes this mildew into the wood spores and though it may it look good at first after a few months the mold pushes back up through the wood (showing black spots). The damage from deck cleaning with pressure cleaning causes damage as well. The wood will split, crack or pulp. Have you ever cleaned your deck or had your deck cleaned and after it dried it looked like it grew little hairs? That is pulping.
Don't use pressure on your deck!
Call for professional advice and pressure cleaning services.
SoftWash Pros understands the importance of proper deck cleaning and only uses low pressure to clean a deck and exterior wood structures. We use a detergent that kills the mold and does not cause damage.
This is SoftWash Pros deck cleaning process:
We pay special close attention to detail with deck restoration projects.
- We start by cleaning the deck with a mild cleaning solution (low pressure should always be used on wood surfaces)
- If a prior stain or sealant is on deck surface then it will be stripped or sanded. (only if oil based)
- After stripping, sanding, or cleaning a brightener will be applied. (VERY VERY important)
- Allow deck to dry according to stain or sealant brand and application.
- Apply first coat of deck stain or deck sealant using sprayer with BACK BRUSH. (Back brush allows even application)
- Let dry and apply second and final coat.
- Keep off deck for 24 hours
- ENJOY your like new deck.
This is bare minimum when it comes to deck cleaning. Many steps may need to be added depending on your deck condition. I don't know about you but if a company comes to my house a quotes me $250 dollars for a complete deck restoration project I might be a little leary.
We have helped guide business owners, Realtor, and home owners on the importance of proper deck cleaning for years. SoftWash Pros wants everyone to know the proper way. Don't waste your money!
We provide FREE estimates and advice to anyone and anywhere.
We service all of:
- Virginia Beach Pressure Washing
- Hampton Pressure Washing
- Chesapeake Pressure Washing
- Newport News Pressure Washing
- Williamsburg Pressure Washing
- Poquoson Pressure Washing
- Portsmouth Pressure Washing
- Yorktown Pressure Washing
- Norfolk Pressure Washing
One last thought. Cleaning any exterior service should not be a gamble. There should not be any upfront cost. Your exterior professional should honor their work on every job.