Competition is a funny thing. For some people, it’s the fire that drives them to do more and accomplish more. It’s the motivation for even greater achievement than they thought possible. It can even be the thing that gives them a sense of purpose they never had before.
But for other people, the effect is just the opposite. Some people wilt at the mere thought of it. And should they find their competitors are succeeding, they can be flung into a spiral, letting frustration become self-doubt that turns them listless and unmotivated.
So, if you find you’re in the second group, what do you do? It’s an issue that comes up a lot with my coaching clients, who sometimes find that seeing other agents succeed eats away at them. Simply avoiding competition isn’t an option, of course. Real estate is, by its nature, a competitive business. I believe that with the right approach, you can begin to welcome competition.
1. Congratulate your colleague. Yes, that’s right, the very person you don’t want to recognize deserves recognition for his or her achievement. Don’t be a sourpuss. You know how much work it takes to get new business. Offer your acknowledgment of that. What goes around comes around, and your positivity will be remembered.
2. Make the decision to up your game. Look, if you’re losing, you have to do better. Generally speaking, it’s that simple. Okay, they have more business than you right now—what are you going to do about it? Sitting at your desk and wallowing in self-pity and resentment isn’t going to win you new business. Scheduling business development activities, calling clients, and getting out and meeting new people, on the other hand, will. And don’t fall for the self-pitier’s oldest trope that success is about luck. Because you have to…
3. Understand that it’s not about luck. When I was selling real estate, I used to hear the “You are so lucky” refrain from many of my colleagues. Is luck a factor? Sure. It accounts for, let’s say, 1% of where you find yourself professionally at any given moment. The other 99% is, of course, hard work. Be honest with yourself, how hard are you working?
4. Set goals and visualize your game plan. Setting your eye on where you want to be is the first step in realizing your goals. If you don’t know where you’re going, how will you get there? Set the goal and then work backwards. You know what it takes to get that new listing, so now go do it.
Look, we all feel sorry for ourselves sometimes, and another person’s success can often feel like our failure. But when you let yourself get swallowed up by those feelings, well, that’s the moment you truly start losing.