Should I Clean My Roof Before I Sell?
The question should I clean my roof before I sell comes into our office at SoftWash Pros daily. Usually homeowners are not familiar with the roof cleaning concept. Most often home and business owners replace their roof way before thinking about cleaning one.
Roof cleaning in general has been around for a long time but I would say in last decade or so it has really taken off. The majority of people don't think about their roof until they want to sell, buy, or get a letter in the mail from their home owners association.
So what do you do when you see a dirty roof. Before I founded SoftWash Pros and began my career in exterior restoration I didn't think of roof cleaning. Knowing what I know now I could have saved a boat load of money and time. In my early 20's I bought a house and requested that the owner replace the roof. I know it kinda sounds ironic now that I'm in the business of roof cleaning, but it's true. I insisted on the roof being replaced, just to be told by the seller they have rejected my offer. Long story short I ended up not getting the house and got a different one about two months later. Moral of the story is the roof was only 7 years old. There was nothing wrong with the roof. It just needed to be cleaned. There is also the heating and cooling savings you get from roof cleaning and of course the beautification aspects.
Dirty Roof Canceled My Insurance
So how do you clean your roof?
First, you need to find a company that only uses a no pressure roof cleaning system. The idea of pressure washing it with a power washer should scare you. NEVER allow someone to use a power washer on your roof. I cannot iterate this anymore. Power washers are not meant to clean shingles of any kind. If you allow someone to use pressure on your roof than you will decrease the longevity of roof by up to 10 years.
Second, find a company that is properly licensed and insured. The last thing you need is to have someone on your roof fall off and sues you for having an inadequate roof structure (believe me I have seen it). Most roof cleaning requires ladders but rarely does someone need to actually get on your roof, as long as they are soft-washing your roof.
Our routine roof cleaning process at SoftWash Pros:
We perform every roof washing service differently. Each home or business has unique challenges and are cleaned accordingly. Your basic no pressure roof cleaning is performed professionally every time!
- Clean all gutters and downspouts
- Attach drainage hose to downspouts for runoff for safe cleaning
- Apply cleaning solution to one portion of the home starting from top to bottom. We like to work from back to front.
- Allow solution to sit approximately 45 min (depending on mold build up) Repeat if necessary
- RINSE roof with clean fresh water (NEVER SKIP THIS STEP)
- Make a walk through around the house.
- All roof cleanings are 100% Satisfaction. We would never charge for a dirty roof!
Things to look out for before you hire a roof cleaning specialist.
- Make sure your contractor is properly insured to include liability insurance. (at least 1 million)
- Ask them about their equipment. Are you using a power washer will do just fine.
- How do you control run off from the roof. (They should not just spray and go!)
- Do you rinse after the roof has been cleaned?
- Do you offer any warranty on your cleaning? (They should honor their work)
There are many other questions, but these would be the basic. If you have a professional company doing the work these questions should not have to be looked up. They should be able to answer immediately.
Where do the black streaks on my roof come from?
Wow! If I had a dollar for every time we heard this. The common myths are jet fuel and tree sap. I am here to tell you both wrong. Trees and shade play a roll but that is not the main culprit. The mold/fungus is actually a living bacteria called gloeocapsa magma. This fungus literally eats and breaths on your shingles all day everyday. The love shade, moisture, and warm weather. Just take a look at the danger map.
This article should give everyone a good idea why to get a roof cleaning done and how to hire the right contractor. Knowledge is everything and if you do the research you will see the right way of doing things and the wrong way. Should I clean my roof before I sell should not be a question anymore. You know the affects that it could have on potential real estate deal.
SoftWash Pros provides expert advice to anyone anywhere. We also service the following areas.
Don't see your city don't worry. We are always extending and growing. Please call and see if we are now providing deck cleaning services in your area.
- Virginia Beach Pressure Washing
- Hampton Pressure Washing
- Chesapeake Pressure Washing
- Newport News Pressure Washing
- Williamsburg Pressure Washing
- Poquoson Pressure Washing
- Portsmouth Pressure Washing
- Yorktown Pressure Washing
- Norfolk Pressure Washing