Columbia County Wisconsin, History, Waters, and Naturalists Meet
Our earliest Explorers were excited to find a narrow strip of land where the current city of Portage is located, this portage between the Fox and Wisconsin Rivers was significant since it joined the Great Lakes and the North Atlantic with the Mississippi and the Caribbean.
Later influential Naturalists also found this area significant and we have two renowned environmentalists at each end of the county with John Muir's boyhood home just to the north in Marquette County, and Aldo Leopold's sandy farm just across the river on the west.
When Aldo Leopold wrote 'A Sand County Almanac' he was sitting on his sandy tree farm just a few across the river from here in Sauk County, the terrain of western Columbia County is about the same, with miles of Pines, Oaks and other forests all growing on this beautiful and powerful river.
The Eastern part of this county includes better soils with better quality trees, farms and wildlife areas.
Just to the west of Columbia County we find the world famous recreation capital of Wisconsin Dells, a place for the kids to play while you enjoy the solitude of your woodland hideaway.
Our clients at Woodland Management Service own a significant amount of land in Columbia County with Quality Pines for great income and Oaks which are not much for quality timber but they do produce some fantastic wildlife habitat that attracts plentiful Grouse, Bear, Deer and Turkeys.
Columbia County is home to over 100 thousand acres of forest land.
Most of this forest land is poor to medium quality Oak with 70 thousand acres of Oak forests which provide premium deer and turkey habitat and good income for the forest landowners.
If you are interested in purchasing land in Columbia County or if you already own some and would like to learn more about how to improve this land, give me a call, our Foresters and Wildlife Specialists can help.
A few other articles to check out.
- Click here to learn more
What is a Forester & Why do I Need a Forester?
Buying and Selling Forest Land
- Top 10 List for Selling Your Forestland at a Premium Price.
- What Is My Tree Worth? Q&A#3
- Forestland Evaluations, dont Buy or Sell Forestland without one.
- FAQ - How important is Access When Selling Hunting and Recreational Land?
Managing the Forest
- Your Forest May Need a Little Help
- FAQ Is leaving my woodland alone best for Wildlife & Forest Health?
- FAQ How do I create a Wildlife Paradise on my Property?
- FAQ How do I Encourage More Wildlife on My Land?
- FAQ What is Hygrading and why is it so Bad??
- FAQ I Have Recently Purchased/Inherited Some Forest Land. What's Next?
- Need a Break on your Forestland Taxes?
- Why Should I Hire A Forester To Sell My Timber? Q&A#4
- Do I need to have a Clear Cut on my property? Q&A#3
- Spring and Summer Danger, Oak Wilt can kill your most valuable trees
- Hunters are Looking to Lease Your Forestland