Do you wonder about what the basic steps are to actually buy a home? What's the FIRST step? How long does it REALLY take? Here are some tips and the basic outline of the process, simplified to hopefully ease some of the anxiety of where to start!
- To begin with we can meet, discuss what you're looking for in a potential home, the features you want, the features you'd settle for, and things that you could or couldn't go without. (Example: Garages, fireplaces, room count, etc.)
- Then the fun begins! We start searching for your new home, visit some houses, and this can vary as far as how long it takes.
- Once we find your new home we make an offer! Then it’s just a Pre-Approval letter from your lender, and what is called an Earnest Money Deposit. (Usually $1000) This is refundable if the offer doesn't get accepted or if there is a problem with the sale down the road. (For example if the inspection wasn't satisfactory). If approved it goes towards your down payment at closing!
- If the offer is accepted we have a 10 day inspection period. This is when the home will be inspected. (The cost varies on location and square footage but usually around $250-$350)
- If everything is good to go we move forward. If everything is not up to par then we can ask the seller to do some repairs and/or negotiations (depending on if its bank owned or not) or simply move on to another home.
- Your lender will be collecting documentation from you during this time and will order the appraisal. (Most lenders are having the buyers pay for the appraisal out of pocket which varies depending on many things but usually around $500-$700)
- If the appraisal comes back supporting our offering price then we move forward and we go to closing
- Then you get sign a LOT of papers ;) (Please note however, that you do not get the keys when you sign the closing documents)
- After the sale records (this is just the county verifying the sale took place) you get the keys to your new home!
As always, if you have ANY questions or concerns about anything please do not hesiate to contact me! Call, email or text! :)
503-490-5229 (Text friendly)