Planning a move or vacation to Anna Maria Island? Here's some ideas for things to do on this old Florida barrier Island on the Gulf of Mexico.
1. Park the car and walk, bike or take the free island trolley around. You can also take the Monkey Bus! The monkey bus is a service that will take you around the island for tips. There's even a karaoke machine on there for added fun.
2. Go to the beach. There is public beach access all over the island.
3. Build sandcastles or sand sculptures. If you dig holes, please fill them in before you leave the beach. They can be dangerous for people walking on the beach at night. During Turtle Season May through October, the sea turtles can get stuck in as they make their way to the water, making them easy prey for the birds.
4. Collect seashells.
5. Go fishing at the Anna Maria City Pier or the Rod and Reel pier.
6. Go kayaking in the bay or Robinson's Preserve.
7. Try Standup Paddle boarding. (SUP) It's not as hard as it looks if you're in calm water like at Robinson's Preserve just off the island.
8. Grill out at the picnic area at the Manatee Public Beach in Holmes Beach or at Bay Front Park in Anna Maria or Coquina Beach in Bradenton Beach. Grills are not permitted anywhere else on the beach.
9. Did you bring the dog? Go to the dog park at behind the Holmes Beach City Field off Marina Drive. Dogs are not allowed on the beaches except for Palma Sola Causeway on Manatee Ave coming from Bradenton to Anna Maria Island.
10. Ride horses on the beach at Palma Sola Causeway.
11. Go swimming. Be sure to do the Sting Ray Shuffle while wading out into the water.
12. Take a nap, read a book, rejuvenate. If you're in the sun, be sure to protect your skin. A sunburn can mess up the rest of your vacation.
13. Go for an Art Stroll visiting the Anna Maria Island Art galleries, like the Artist's Guild Gallery, Anna Maria Island Art League, The Studio at Gulf and Pine or Island Gallery West, Restless Natives, and Back Alley on Bridge Street in Bradenton Beach. Don't worry about how you will get it home, Island Mail and More at 3230 E. Bay Drive in Holmes Beach can wrap and ship anything.
14. Watch the sun rise over the bay and the sun set over the Gulf of Mexico. Both are amazing and different everyday.
15. Go to happy hour, they are everywhere.
16. Enjoy the local restaurants and appreciate that there are no fast food places on Anna Maria Island, unless we count Subway and Domino's as fast food.
17. See a play at the Island Players Theater in Anna Maria.
18. Check out the Anna Maria Island Historical Society on Pine Ave in Anna Maria. Admission is free but donations are accepted. There's the Island Historical Museum, the old City open air jail (great for photo opportunities, Belle Haven Cottage, a gift shop and a park with lots of native plants.
19. Rent a jet ski, go para sailing.
20. Go for a sunset sail or deep sea fishing with the many charters available on Anna Maria Island.
22. Get pampered at the many spas around the island. You can even get a beach massage in a private Tiki hut with Sea-Renity Spa and Boutique.
23. Play Shuffleboard in front of the Holmes Beach City Field on Marina Drive.
24. Play Tennis or Basketball at the public courts in Holmes Beach located behind Seaside Gardens. From Marina Drive going North turn right on 63rd St and go to the end.
25. Go snorkeling or scuba diving with Sea Kat Divers located at 105 7th St N. in Bradenton Beach. We have gorgeous water here.
When you get to the point that you know you don't ever want to leave Anna Maria Island, try out our mobile app for real estate to see all the homes for sale on Anna Maria Island. It is the most up to date comprehensive app available pulling directly from the MLS. Our real estate app can show you all the homes based on your location and works anywhere in the US and Canada. Our team specializes in listing and selling real estate on Anna Maria Island. We'd love to help you achieve your real estate dreams. Call Jen and Mark Bowman, Keller Williams on the Water at 941-840-0117.