Humor is one of the quickest ways to overcome distance and uncertainty between new acquaintances. The art of conversation is a learned technique, and those who struggle with "small talk" and "soft conversation" can benefit from "stocking the pantry" with favorite "canned" one-liners designed to break the ice and build trust.
Although not our original creations, these are a few of our favorite quips:
- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
- If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
- So what if I can't spell 'armaggedon'? It's not like it's the end of the world...
- A man was in court for stealing a bag. It took just 3 minutes to get sentenced... It was a briefcase.
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything.
I'm going to make a TV series about a plane hi-jacking. We just shot the pilot.
I'd like to defend a penguin in court just to say, "Your Honor, my client is clearly not a flight risk."
Hummingbirds are just regular birds that don't know the words.
Did you hear about the cross-eyed teacher? He couldn't control his pupils.
My new favorite band is Dog Whistle... You won't have heard them.
Did you hear about the lonely pyromaniac? He's still looking for the perfect match.
I had a steak at this restaurant last night that mooed at me... I thought, "That's rare!"
- Got in a fight with a sea creature that I thought was my friend... Turned out, he was anemone.
Eager to develop your interpersonal skills and step up your speaking game? Join us for our next Speakers of the House Toastmasters meeting. Make new friends and learn invaluable presentation skills in a safe, supportive, and collaborative professional business networking group.
Do you have a LOL you would like to share? Reply to this post and we may feature your name & contribution in our next Speakers of the House Toastmasters blog post!