It's no secret... KITCHENS SELL HOUSES. The kitchen is one of the most, if not THE most, popular rooms in a home... at least for most people. When I take buyers out to look at homes, the first place they tend to focus on is the kitchen. The kitchen is a central part of every home and buyers want to feel like the kitchen will make them "feel good."
If you're selling your home, I recommend placing great emphasis on your kitchen. While a newly-remodeled kitchen with tile floors, granite counters, cherry cabinets and stainless steel appliances is sure to impress anyone, many sellers can't afford to remodel their kitchen just to sell a home. So, if you don't have that "chef's kitchen" then work with what you have. ANY kitchen can look great.
Here are some tips that will help any kitchen show well:
- Clean, clean, clean! Make sure your kitchen sparkles!
- Turn on the lights and open the blinds (light makes the kitchen look larger and look its best)
- Clear off the counters of most "stuff" - some small appliances or a knife block, for example, are OK to leave on the counter (clear the clutter)
- Put the dishes in the dishwasher (or at least out of the sink)
- Put some fresh flowers on the counter
- Remove the magnets from the refrigerator (again, get rid of the clutter)
- Put the boxes of food away (nothing on top of the frig or on the counters)
- Set the table (a few nice place settings really creates a nice atmosphere)