6 Q&A's Regarding Memorial Day Trivia
- When was Memorial Day first enacted? In May 5, 1868 by American General John Logan, American Civil War in Waterloo, New York.
- What was the holiday originally called in 1868? Decoration Day
- What was the reason for Memorial Day? To go to the cemetery and remember the ones who had died during the Civil War. Later people remembered loved ones who died in other wars such as WW1, WW11, Korean, Vietnam, etc.
- How did the Calvary get food while out on patrols for long periods? In 1868, they hired William 'Wild Bill' Cody as a scout to hunt for bison so the men could eat.
- What southern states celebrated Memorial Day when it was first enacted? Only Mississippi celebrated as the rest of the southern states were angry and refused since they had lost the war.
- Is there a law stating all people in the USA must stop and celebrate Memorial Day? Yes, in 2000, Congress enacted a law that all people in the USA must stop and pause at 3:00 pm and have a national moment of remembrance.
Here is a picture of Wild Buffalo Bill Coty.